Butts over brisket advice

Ned C

Hello! I'm new to the site and new to BBQing. I've been following the Gary Wiviott method and things have been great so far. Last week I bought two 8-1/4# butts and a 4-3/4# brisket flat. I had all intentions of doing the butts, as per lesson 5 in the "low and slow" book, friday or saturday. But I got too busy with christmas fast approaching and wasn't able to do the cook
icon_frown.gif
My father is coming to town tomorrow and we were planning on Q-ing the brisket tuesday am for a family party tuesday afternoon.

Now i'm thinking we'll try and do the butts over the brisket and i've been reading through old threads and still have a few questions.

1. Would you use the same rub on both pork and beef?

2. should I start the butts first and add the brisket after, trying to have them finish around the same time? OR start them at the same time and foil and hold(rest) the brisket in a cooler while the butts finish?

Any other advice will be appreciated!

thanks for your insight and willingness to share experience based knowledge.

Ned C. WSM 22.5

- I wouldn't use the same rub. The recipes in the cooking section of this forum include rubs. Those are good starting points.

- I don't think brisket holds particularly well in foil, probably best if you time it so the pork finishes an hour before the brisket. The pork will hold well.

- I think it's safer to cook brisket over butts. Most people would say you're good to go either way but given a choice, it seems safer to me to cook brisket over buts.

- Finally, pork butt is one of the easiest things to cook on a smoker, brisket one, if not, the hardest. You might want to pick something more forgiving for the cook as it's for a party.

enjoy!

I did the exact same cook a month ago. http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/4241064826
I used two different rubs. Chris Lily's world championship pork rub for the shoulders and bigger badder beef rub for the flat.
I put the shoulders on 13 hours before I needed them done one on each grate, the WSM was around 250-260f. Four hours later I moved both the shoulders to the bottom rack and put the flat on the top. Foiled the flat at about 160f. Cooked both to tender. I had to hold the pork wrapped in foil for a little longer then expected but everything turned out great.
Give yourself lots of time, relax and enjoy it.

Just wanted to let you know that in the end everything was fantastic (if I do say so myself!) I'll post some pics and the full story later!

Back