butts galore

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
so... what's everyone got on the smoker this weekend?

Myself... Got our 2 year old's birthday party tomorrow and she loves pulled pork (we train them well). So, in her honor
icon_wink.gif
I'm inviting friends over and have about 26 pounds of butts on the smoker. 2 on top, 2 on the bottom. About midnight and they are chugging along at 170. Probably going to hit their plateau here soon (at least I hope so - I'm hoping to get lots of sleep tonight!).

So... now I'm debating sides. Got some potato salad, fruit salad and baked beans (going on the smoker tomorrow 3 hours before the Q-fest). Got quite a few folks coming over tomorrow...

Not that I really need another side, but I'm in the mood, so what they hey. Any suggestions on another side to serve (besides slaw)?

Just put my very first chuck roll on tonight. 12.5 pounder. Using a rub created by a friend of mine at work, and smoking it with a combo of hickory and apple. Figure it should be good for dinner tomorrow.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Happy Birthday to your princess Adam.

My crew loves corn on the cob with there BBQ. Particularly the little guys if you have many there.

Have a great day tomorrow!!

It's 12:40 am in PA and I'm getting reading to put 45 lbs of pork butt in my 2 Smokey Mountain Smokers. I'm doing them for my daughter's youth group. They are having a hobo supper and we have been honored to supply the pulled pork sandwiches.

Steve,
I hope you're eating late. My butts usually take 20 hours or so. That's about 9pm tomorrow. Are you planning on doing something to speed the cook up or are you eating on Sunday?

Hi Steve,

That sounds like quite a youth group! You're a champ for doing this for them. If you run into a time crunch, let me suggests Chris' topic "Pork Butt-Quick Cooked" in the Cooking section of the site. It has helped me several times. Easy, and turns out some great food.

Good Luck with your cook!!!!

Have had two butts on since 8 last night. Have some friends coming in town today to try and avoid Hurricane Dennis.

Now it's 9:40 in PA. I have just completed wrapping all of the butts in foil, restocked the charcoal and now they will sit in the smokers untill about 5pm. Jerry, now you have me nervous, but this is how I have done them the last 5 years they always seem to always turn out good, juicy, fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender. I use 4-5 lb. bone-in butts. Then I smoke them 8-10 hours using the charcoal and hickory chunks and then the remaining of the time I cook them in foil at 250-275 degrees. They then sit in a cooler for about an hour. I'm a yankee, so I don't know the finer points of bbq
icon_smile.gif
, but this has worked for me.

let me call this my, "why I hate the access door on the WSM" post. So... everything going great through the night. Get up at 4 a.m. to stir the coals, as it had gone down to 215 from a steady 235 at the great.

All good, temp restabilized at 230, go upstairs 20 minutes later and go to bed. About 10 minutes later, I hear a noise and don't think much about it. check my temps 15 minutes later on my maverick next to my bed and it has shot up to 300. YIKES!! Then I realized that noise must have been the dumb access door falling off. Go downstairs and sure enough, it's laying on the ground and I've got a massive furnace burning. Crap.

Anyhow, I sprayed the coals with a bit of water to cool down the fire, close all the bottom vents, put ice-cold water in the pan and close the top vent so it is only 75% open. The temp quickly drops and stabilizes to 245, but man, I hate that door. I wasn't worried about the meat - butts are near indestructible. I was bummed about my sleep...

The other bummer was the butts were at the wonderful plateau (aka sleep time) when this all happened. I always bank on a good plateau to take me through to the morning. However, the massive spike - short as it was - pushed the butts through the plateau.

oh well, no worries. I've got the finished butts (near 30 pounds in all) all foiled keeping in a cooler around 160 right now, ready to be pulled in an hour and a half. Should be a fun b-day party today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adamclyde:
Then I realized that noise must have been the dumb access door falling off. Go downstairs and sure enough, it's laying on the ground and I've got a massive furnace burning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Time to mark the access door knob.

Regards,
Chris

Back