Butts done too early!

Trevor Blohm

TVWBB Member
I grossly overestimated how long it would take for my 3 pork butts to get done. Dinner is at 7 tonight, and at 8 am they are now all at 190 F. The BBQ Guru is in ramp mode, and the dome temperature is something like 200F.

Question: Do I take them off, let them rest, pull them, and then refrigerate, or do I let the Guru hold them for until about 3 pm, take them off, let them rest, pull them and serve them?

Thanks,

Trevor

My guess is it would be best to rest, pull and, refrig. Pulling three butts takes a while. Get the work done now then reheat.

My suggestion would be to let them stay on the cooker till internal meat temp reaches around 198. This may give you a few more hours. Then, wrap in HD foil and put in an empty cooler with towels. Hopefully you'll be close enough to dinner that a 6 hr hold will get you there. If it doesn't and you feel nervous about a hold that long, go ahead and pull the butts, put in freezer zip loc bags in the frig and reheat for dinner.

Good luck.

Paul

I once left 2 butts and 2 briskets packaged together in layers of foil, towels, blankets, etc in an ice chest for about eight hours, and they were still well above 140 when I unwrapped them. I think this excellent heat retention was due both to the mass of hot meat and to the insulatory properties of the materials in which I wrapped them.

That's most likely pushing the envelope, and I don't necessarily recommend doing it, but it CAN be done. I think I vote with Paul.

Keri C

If you don't yet have a foodsaver, now is the perfect time to get one. Just drop the bags into boiling water and presto, it's just like it came off the smoker.

Pull the butts, chill in fridge, put in bags.

Al

Trevor -- I am with Paul and Keri. Let us know how it goes, please. (I have never tried the ramp mode, be interested in seeing your results).

Oh, yeah, the foodsaver trick that Al recommends, I learned here and use all the time. It works!

All right, here is the plan.

I have a extreme cooler, which is preheating with hot tap water right now. I will put them (they reached about 198F, wrap them in foil, and surround with blankets. My polder probe will go with them, and I will monitor the temperature. If they get below 140, I will pull them and then put them in a covered aluminum pan in the oven at 150 until serving time.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks so much,

Trevor

What is the best way to reheat pulled pork or brisket if you don't have a food saver system?
Thanks,
Sam

I started a 7-1/2 pounder @ 9 PM last night for my first overnighter. Checked on it at 3 AM and the WSM was up to 280 and the pork at 185.

It was done at 5 AM and dinner is @ 5 PM.
icon_smile.gif
Whoops!

Hi All,

As I said, I took the butts off at about 9:30. They were at about 198 (I had three) I double wrapped them in foil and put them in a preheated Igloo Extreme cooler. I had a beach towel underneath, and a fleece throw on top of them.

At 6:30, when I pulled them, they were at 154. They were really moist, the star of the show. I served them with creamy coleslaw and South Carolina-Style Table Sauce from Dottie Griffith's book.

The ABT's were a great hit as well-we ate about 1.5 pounds of Jalapenos.

A great night was had by all. The neighbors down the lake are professional pyrotechnicians, and they shot off about $6k of mortars. Hence, I called the even Trev's 2nd Annual Pork-n-Pyros 4th of July Celebration.

I did serve baby backs as well, but they weren't as tender as I like. I used a rib rack, and had to stack on on top. I did a 3-1-1 format at about 240F, but I don't think it was enough for the bunched up ribs. The pulled pork was such a hit this year, however, I don't think I will bother next. That way, I can do more relaxing (or cleaning) before the party since I won't have to worry about messing with the ribs.

Thanks again for all of your help and guidance,

Trevor

I am glad things went so well. This is probably the longest I have heard someone hold butts.
9 hours ! The extreme cooler performed as advertised. Good job.

Yeah, that cooler performed well. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't that much. My neighbor lent me one of his for the beer, and it still has a majority of the ice left in it today.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trevor Blohm:
Yeah, that cooler performed well. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't that much. My neighbor lent me one of his for the beer, and it still has a majority of the ice left in it today.

Thanks again for everyone's help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's some serious keeping it hot time there. They are awsome coolers. My stepdaughter got me a 72 qt one for Fathers Day to use when going on a road trip down to Trader Joe's for Tri-Tips and Wegmans. Wife said it was only $26.00 at Wally World.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back