Butts & Brisket from Walmart, any good?

Richard Diaz

TVWBB Pro
I was at Walmart today and they carry Smithfield butts for 1.79 a lb and they also carry briskets. Have any of you purchased these items from Walmart? How has it turned out? they say all natural on the outside but I am concerned they may be in some salty water solution.

The only place I have been able to find full packers is there. The last one I made turned out pretty good. Not sure what grade it was and I did look to see if it was choice or select. Not sure but it was good. Vince

Richard,I've bought a brisker(whole packer) at WM. It turned out pretty good! Like Vince said,not sure about the grade,but it turned out fine.
As far as the butts go,the only ones I've seen there have been enhanced,and won't buy them. And if the label says "all natural",that's what it means. No injections or anything. As far as the liquid in the package,just rinse it off and dry the butt before rubbing. Should be fine.

Around here, Walmart carries Tyson pork butts, not Smithfield, and I find 'em more expensive than my local grocer that runs sales on Excel butts quite regularly. At least Walmart carries whole packers. If it wasn't for them and Sam's Club, I don't guess I'd fool with brisket much.

As to the "enhanced", I here it's ok as long as it doesn't list "phosphates" on the label.

The Smithfield butts say all natural on them and it does not say phosphates on it. They sell them for 1.79 a lb cheaper then Publix and Winn Dixie at 2.69. The full packers look good. I've never done a brisket, they are huge. A full brisket should fit on my 22. Thanks for the input. Do you guys use the same rub for the ribs/butts on brisket or do you change it up a bit? I'm thinking about doing brisket for the Superbowl.

Richard, buy all my briskets from Wal Mart or SAm's. Sams actually as a better grade of brisket than Wallyworld. I use a rub that has coffee in it for my briskets. You can find the recipe on this site. Adds a nice flavor.

I've had no luck with cooking their briskets, but I think that is me, not them.

Yesterday for football, I slow smoked 2 huge racks of Pork Spareribs. For some reason my Walmart marks these down from their normal $2.49lb to $1.74lb at some point. I haven't figured out the system yet. But every time I go into Walmart I check and if they have them (always just some of them) marked down, I grab them. I use simple rubs (yesterday I used the Weber T-bone rub) and they are always fantastic. I usually smoke 4 hours, but went 5 yesterday. Just awesomeness!

Also had good luck with their Butts and other porks.

Only thing I haven't cooked well is their brisket, but again, think it is me, not them.

Smithfield is basically local for me -- about an hour away. So I'm familiar with the brand and it generally has a good reputation. I haven't yet done their butt from Walmart (but I will -- $6 less than the butcher I've been using). But I have done the Smithfield baby backs and can't wait to do them again. These were head and shoulders the best baby backs I ever had. Very meaty and excellent quality -- and of course, my cooking was incredible!
icon_razz.gif

As far as our local Walmart, I'm seeing really good quality meats and vegetables at very good prices. Until I find problems, I will be doing all my purchases there.

Rich

Back