Butts and Brisket

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Got up at 4am to get things rolling. I have 16lbs of pulled pork I need to deliver Monday. So I got 4 butts totalling 33lbs rubbed down and onto the smoker by 5:30. There should be enough for us to have a sandwich or two as well!!

Then I have a 7.5lb brisket flat for our dinner tonight. It's rubbed down with Wolfe Rub Bold.

Everything is being cooked over kingsford and hickory chunks.

I had to hit the outside and the vents with my hose torch this morning to thaw the ice out to get into them. Gonna warm up today and be farily nice later!

Lookin' good, Larry. You don't burry any of your wood chunks?

You know, if you covered your WSM's, you wouldn't have to take a chisel to them on mornings like this!
icon_razz.gif

Bill

Keep uploading the picks, can't wait to see the Bark on these babies. They do look very good Larry, happy smoken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Lookin' good, Larry. You don't burry any of your wood chunks?

You know, if you covered your WSM's, you wouldn't have to take a chisel to them on mornings like this!
icon_razz.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I don't bury them. I figure it doesn't make much difference because if you bury them and the lit coals reach them it'll reach them just underneath at the same time if you don't.
icon_biggrin.gif

Briskets done, smells good and is tender (probe test)............it's in a warmed but "off" oven now resting for a couple hours....so I'll let you know if it is any good in a little while.

Bill, thoughht your picture was pretty cute. Made my Monday morning<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Oh yeaaaaah. If I leave now, I think I can be there by 10 or 11.

2.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Bill, thoughht your picture was pretty cute. Made my Monday morning
icon_biggrin.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Oh yeaaaaah. If I leave now, I think I can be there by 10 or 11.

2.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry - you're killing me. Just starting a fast for Lent (yeah, I do that once in awhile). I wanted to cry. I could almost taste it. Superbowl was the last Q for me for awhile. I will need to cook though for a few events coming up, but won't be participating in the eating part for a number of weeks.

Nice job Larry, everything looks absolutely delicious. I hope my next brisket come out looking like yours did. Thanks for sharing.

hey Larry,
your pictures make me hungry!!!! i did a smoke for the superbowl in similiar temperatures as you did. i assume you did minion method. if so, how many lit coals did you put on top? i think i did too many as my temp shot to around 350 and was a pain to bring down.

thanks

barry

ps i live in the dc area....any thoughts on the new coach.

Larry food looks good as usual. Too tender is way better than too tough, doncha think? Or maybe my teeth are getting old and lazy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Just starting a fast for Lent (yeah, I do that once in awhile). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could always do what I do for Lent: give up cigars, brandy, and polo.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barry Fantle:
hey Larry,
your pictures make me hungry!!!! i did a smoke for the superbowl in similiar temperatures as you did. i assume you did minion method. if so, how many lit coals did you put on top? i think i did too many as my temp shot to around 350 and was a pain to bring down.

thanks

barry

ps i live in the dc area....any thoughts on the new coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Barry,
I use a hose torch to light my coals, vs. adding lit coals. I have been doing it this way for a little over a year now and love it. It's easy and I don't have to fool with a chimney. Here's my process and a couple pic's if you're interested in giving it a try.

Modified Minion Method
1. Load charcoal ring with appropriate amount of charcoal and wood to suit your cook, with 1 piece set aside.
2. Assemble WSM with 2 firebricks (or sand) in the water pan covered with foil.
3. Add cold meat and put the lid on.
4. Place the lit end of the hose torch through the door opening and directly into the center of the coals for approximately 1 minute.
5. Remove torch and place remaining 1 wood chunk directly ontop of the lit coals.
6. Replace WSM Door
7. Leave vents 100% open until pit temp hits 175* (dome), and then shut bottom 3 vents down about 85%.
8. Temps will initially drop about 5 degrees but will slowly climb and settle in the 250* dome temp range.

As far as the Redskins coaching position goes, I don't even know what to say. Their only chance at finding a good coach was lost when Steve Spagnola backed out of contention. Fassel and Marucci, we'll lose with either so it doesn't matter.
icon_frown.gif
Snyder is slowly but surely ruining a once great organization! What owner hires coordinators before their head coach and succeeds in the long run? We'll see what happens with Dallas, cause they did okay this past season doing it.........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edmund Caro:
Larry what rub did you use on the brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, I used Wolfe Rub Bold.

Back