Buttless in NJ

I think the RD option is the best but frankly I have no idea how to get the required permits, etc., and how much that would cost both up-front and having to file business tax returs (quarterly), etc. For a couple of butts and a couple of briskets a year it sounds like too steep a penalty and that I should just bite the bullet pay full-retail for briskies.

Shop Rite in Emerson on Oldhook Rd always has boneless and bone in butts. The boneless are 1.99/lb and with the blade bone in, 1.69/lb.

Originally posted by BrianG:
Between the Shoprite and A&P locations near me I can usually score something in the way of Butt, Picnic and of course ribs... but for anything else its the butcher. My go to is Chester Meat Market...its pricey but super solid.

Peter funny you mentioned Western Beef... the NYC location in in the north end of the meatpacking district was my supermarket for 10 years or so when I lived in the city. They always had tons of cuts.. place actually started as a retail operation for a wholesale meat market. But certainly not the nicest of places.

the one around west 16th st? was there recently. boy it's small compared to other WBs. they said they only ahve butts during the 'holiday' i said which one, Christmas? she said yeah.

Here in Hillsborough the Shop Rite usually has picnics, but butts are more rare. I was there Saturday morning and they had one 3.5 pound butt out. I asked at the counter if they had anything larger and they were able to get me a 7.5 pounder.

I've seen full briskets at the Super Walmart in Flemington.

Originally posted by PeterD:
Just wondering if anybody knows a source for butts in northern NJ. Two Costcos, two BJs and no luck. Meat dep't guys say they're not in demand in any local stores. They have pork loins, picnic pork shoulders, spares and loinbacks, and that's it. No brisket either.

Peter, I picked up 2 butts at the BJ's in Paramus on Saturday morning at around 9:30AM. It was early and it appeared that they hadn't fully stocked the place yet, because there were 2 picnic's and no butts (but there was a shelf label for the butts there). My girlfriend knocked on the door going into the back butcher area and someone came out. She asked if they had any butts and the guys said yes and brought me out 2...an 11+ pounder and a 9+ pounder. Price was $1.79.

Smoked 'em on Sunday and they came out AWESOME!

Jim

Back