Butternut Squash

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
I like risotto. The other day I stumbled across this You Tube video for a butternut squash risotto. That sounds like something I might like.

I was thinking . . . smoking butternut squash would probably taste good. I imagine others have smoked squash b4.

Any thoughts as to how to do this? Do I do the squash whole or cut it half? Length of time? Seasoning?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

I love smoked butternut squash.

I usually cut it in half and put a couple pats of butter in the hole where the seeds were. I then drizzle the flesh with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.

Then smoke until the a knife easy pierces the flesh, and remove the skin and mash the flesh with a fork and season to taste.

Good Luck!

So you put it skin side down? Roughly how long does it take to smoke? I understand size, temp, etc. will affect that time.

My mouth is watering at the thought of this now.

Yes skin side down.

Timing depends on size and temp. If I am smoking at 225-250, I will allow about 3 hours, depending on size. If I am smoking/grilling at a higher temp, around 350, I will allow about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Note sure if you can over cook these, so allow yourself a lot of time.

I just did a pork loin with some butternut squash a couple weeks ago at 350 and they both took about 2 hours to complete, actually the loin was a little over done
icon_frown.gif
but the squash was perfect
icon_smile.gif

I fixed one today. I scolded myself for not leaving out the sweets since it was going in a risotto, but I think it worked all jazzed up.

Thanks for the direction.

I did not cut the squash in half well. I pulled it at a little over three hours. This could have gone longer, particularly the thicker half. It loosened up just fine in the pan and I have plenty of squash leftover. Good stuff!

squash.jpg

risotto2.jpg

Back