Butt vs. Picnic

Jason Smith

TVWBB Fan
Looking to do my first smoke on the WSM this weekend and figured I would do some pulled pork. I picked up a nice sized butt but I also noticed a picnic roast. Has anybody used the picnic roast to do their pulled pork? Is there much of a difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Smith:
Looking to do my first smoke on the WSM this weekend and figured I would do some pulled pork. I picked up a nice sized butt but I also noticed a picnic roast. Has anybody used the picnic roast to do their pulled pork? Is there much of a difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I prefer the Butt's over the shoulder picnic because IMO there's too much waste with the picnics. After you skin it, then you have 2 very large bones in there you wind up with less meat than if going with a Butt. Plus the picnic tends to be a little more lean than the Butt and tends to be somewhat on the dry side. IMO.
icon_biggrin.gif

Edit; Bad spelling

I did a picnic last week and would not do one again if I can get the upper shoulder, it was rather dry and like Bryan said, there was a lot of waste.

Thanks for the advice. Ya I have read in other places that the picnic has a lot of waist to it but wanted to hear what other folks had to say so thanks. It is a little leaner so that would make sense as to why it would be a little dry. Thanks again

I did my first picnic this weekend and was actually quite happy with it. I left the skin on, and after pulling it I put the skin on the grill and cooked it some more. Made some awfully good cracklin. The picnic was consideably cheaper than the butt at my Super Wally.

Back