Butt rub - ahead ot time??

Tony V

Can I get some opinions about whether or not to apply a rub several hours in advance of an overnight smoke?

Also looking for opinions about putting the butts on the smoker straight from the fridge or letting it sit at room temp for a while.

Thanks in advance

I don't rub ahead nor do I remove the butts from the fridge early. I remove the butts from the fridge, salt them, then go out to dump the unlit into the cooker and set up some in the chimney, lighting it for a Minion start. Then I go in, make a rub (saltless, since I've already salted), apply the rub (it sticks well since the salt has drawn moisture to the surface), then cart out the butts.

Wood gets scattered on, lit gets scattered on, the cooker gets assembled and the butts go right in.

The fat layer around a butt is so thick that even if some of the rub did "sink in", it wouldn't touch any meat. About the only reason I see to rub at all is to make bark that will get mixed in to the finished product. Therefore, when you rub seems would make little difference.

Letting the butt sit out for a while would probably just lower your cooking time - but by such a small amount, it probably wouldn't even be noticed.

I personally, I get the butts ready (I trim the fat cap off) and then get the wsm going which with cleaning and all takes about 1/2 hour. Then I light the coals (minion) and put the butts on. I do this for any type of meat that I'm doing low and slow.

Very similar to all of the above. When I first got my WSM I would rub overnight, then switched as I couldn't tell a difference in my end product. That said, if I know I'm going to be in a rush the day of my smoke, I'll rub her for convenience sake the day before.

I too go straight from fridge to smoker.

Yep to all what the fine folks said above. Sometimes I'll throw them on semi-frozen when I get in a pinch. Butt I never trim, and I cook fat cap down for the entire time.
IMO, play around with it, and fine out what works best for you..
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Tony, I have always applied the rub abuot 12 hour prior to placing them on the smoker. No real reason other than I think it mentions to do so on the 'Renowned Mr. Brown' recipe. As for bringing them up to room temp, I get the meat out before I fire up the chimney.
I dont think you can go wrong either way, as it wss said earlier, figure out wich way works best for you and build from there.
Tim

When I am going to pit the butts on first thing in the morning I apply the rub the night before.

I think butt is so forgiving that you can't really go wrong. Just go ahead and develop your own favorite style.

Mike

as most said, I never rub overnight or several hours in advance. Rubbing to far in advance can draw out to much moisture and could cause the meat to be dry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Very similar to all of the above. When I first got my WSM I would rub overnight, then switched as I couldn't tell a difference in my end product. That said, if I know I'm going to be in a rush the day of my smoke, I'll rub her for convenience sake the day before.

I too go straight from fridge to smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Same here.

Back