Butt,Ribs,andSausage Pics from Saturday.

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Wow what a BBQ day Shawn and I had this weekend.

I started a Butt on Friday night at 10:00pm it went about 17hrs on one load of fuel. After I pulled the butt off we loaded 2lbs of unlit coals and I put on Shawns homemade sausages along with Baking Potatoes. I actually got a smoke ring on a few of the potatoes but I didnt take pictures it was very cool. Also we encountered our first every rain strom as you can see by the pictures we decided to weather the storm.

The Smoke Hunters

Great pics! Things look quite tasty in the pictures.

Two questions:
1) I saw that you had your temp meter "attached" to the WSM. Doesn't the heat damage the plastic?
2) Does your dog hang out down-wind and end up smelling like smoke (like mine)?

You guys had a real feast!!!

Jimbo-

You know I have been cooking at 225 and the et-73 is just now turning brown on the back. I would be very concerned about it if I cooked at higher temps. Any suggestions on how to mount or bring it out farther away from the lid by but still using the supplied clip?

Also yes I think both of my dogs have a smoke ring. The wake up and sniff the air everytime the wind blows the smoke overy by them.

I think that's normal for dogs. Mine (also a yellow lab) does the same thing. The only things he likes more than hanging out by the smoker is trying to steal jerky as it comes off the smoker and the smell of pheasant....

Rick,
I mount my ET-73 the same way that Ken Breit did with his Maverick in the thermometer installation link under tips and mods. I bought a tool holder, screwed together a couple pieces of wood and attach my ET-73 with velcro. The only problem is that you have to remember to take the holder off the lip of the WSM first before you take the lid off. I know I get anxious when I take the lid off of my WSM and I end of dropping the whole thing on the ground. Alwasy try to keep the ET-73 off of your WSM.
Ben

I have tried mounting my et-73 like Rick has his. I found the unit gets really hot and mine stops transmitting the temp. Now I just set it on a bucket next to the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Wow what a BBQ day Shawn and I had this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd like to post that picture of you two in the pouring rain with your cookers. Please e-mail me at mail at virtualweberbullet.com and let me know if that's OK.

Thanks,
Chris

i agree with you chis, that first pic with the two of them with the rain coming down ( you can actually see the rain) is a great pic....

oh how i would love to have a lawn like that...take care

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Jimbo-

You know I have been cooking at 225 and the et-73 is just now turning brown on the back. I would be very concerned about it if I cooked at higher temps. Any suggestions on how to mount or bring it out farther away from the lid by but still using the supplied clip?

Also yes I think both of my dogs have a smoke ring. The wake up and sniff the air everytime the wind blows the smoke overy by them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe im oversimplifying my thought, and im brand new here, but why not just some high temp tape on the back of the therm?

Chris

I just emailed the original picture to mail@virtualweberbullet.com I hope this is correct. email me if you dont get it thanks agian.

Also I will try the high temp tape however where do you stick it on the transmitter unit? Because the transmitter requires you take the back off to turn it on. How will i accomplish this if the tape is over it>

Rick,

I got the photo, thanks. I sent a follow-up e-mail with a question, if you could reply, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

Back