Butt over Brisket

Dano C.

Hi all,

This weekend, I plan on doing BoB for the Super Bowl. I actually plan on doing smaller cuts since there won't be too many people and I really want to experiment a bit before moving onto a huge cook. So I will probably look for something like a 6lb brisket flat and a butt of around the same weight.

So here is what I plan:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Minion method with water pan full.
<LI> Count on something like 8 hours for the brisket, and 10 hours for the pork.
<LI> Let them sit in foil for at least 1 hour after cook.
<LI> Cook brisket fat cap down.
<LI> Simple rub for each, no marinade or mop.
<LI> Temps: Brisket 190, Butt 195
[/list]
Thoughts on this? I have some questions, too:

What type of smoke wood do you recommend?

Is there an article or good post here on the site that has some good ideas for BoB?

If I did do a full brisket in my 18.5" WSM, would I have problems fitting it?

Sounds like a plan!
Cook the brisket fat side up though.
Whole brisket on a 18 1/2" really depends on the size - most will fit but larger packers you might have to "bend" a little.
Lot's of good advice in these forums that will answer your questions.
One of my favorites to do over is ham over turkey.

Sounds good. Keep the brisket fat side down like you have it listed. The drippings from the Butt will replace the need to have the brisket fat side up. Also, I would suggest you taking the Butt to 200-205 instead of 195...that extra 5-10 degrees makes a huge difference in fat rinderings inside the butt...imo.

Any ideas about wood?

I mean, I would think something like apple for the pork, but then something sharper like mesquite for the brisket... does a mix of something like cherry/mesquite make sense?

I like apple for both beef and pork, and sometimes mix in a little oak. And cherry's great for everything...
icon_wink.gif

Brad

Back