Butchers Vs. Supermarket meats...

I'm sure you can get pretty good meat from either, but I haven't experienced that yet. I tend to think if you can get it in cryovac like I do from Sams and the butcher I frequent, it probably is the same. Supermarkets tend to repackage their meats - which makes me wonder how long it's been around.

Also, a butcher will do a lot of prep work for you. You'll pay for it in price per pound, but when I use to buy a single slab of ribs from the butcher, it was already trimmed pretty good and the membrane was removed.

if you can actually find a real butcher (not an easy task in many areas) they should be able to have access to better quality meats.

I find that that is a big deal when it comes to beef cuts, some pork cuts, etc. On things like pork butt, not that much of a big deal, since there isn't really any work I need a butcher to do with it.

Also, a real butcher should be far more knowledgeable about cuts, grades, qualities, etc.

The reason I've been saying "real" butcher is that there are just so few left. Very, very few butchers do any butchering. They mostly get their meats from the same places as anywhere else, and since they don't do much butchering, I find they often aren't much more knowledeable than some of the good meat guys in my supermarket. most butchers today are really more meat distributor than butcher.

I always cling to a nostalgic view that I'm going to find a butcher who is really connected to his meat - where he knows the farms where his meats come from. Where he's custom butchering his cuts. Where he has control over some quality. But, in reality, if I were to walk in the back of his shop, I'd probably see the same cryovac packages from national distributors as my supermarket.

Oh well. Such is the market today. Not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.

being from canada, our supermarkets are slightly different from those south of the boarder, but most of what is being said i agree with.

grocery stores definitely have less knowledgeable people, and usually don't stock the larger cuts of meat that this forum is mostly about. the ribs i find in canadian grocery stores are crap.

if i want good quality ribs or pork butts larger than 2-3 lbs, i have to go to a local butcher...having said that though, yes most of his meat comes from a large food distributor like Sisco.

Cheers!

I agree that if you can find a butcher-grab him or her w/ both arms! I am blessed to have a farmer/butcher who has a store where he has his own organic free range beef, pork, lamb and veal. With a little bit of notice, he can get me about any cut or quanity. My experience w/ supermarkets are that the help is not too helpful-"Well I usually work in produce, so I can't tell you." Also and more importantly, if I want steroids and antibiotics I will go to the doctor NOT the meat counter.

Back