Butcher in Northern Virginia?

Kent Walker

Can anyone recommend a good butcher shop (i.e. - not big box or chain grocery) in the area?

Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church are easiest, but I'll drive for a good cut of meat.

This would be a drive (bring coolers!) but this recommendation (scroll down as well) would be worth checking out when you can.

Kent,

Where exactly are you located, I am in the Seven Corners area of Falls Church.

Outside of the Halal butchers, which are in relative abundance (no pork), there is Springfield Butcher shop. It is located at 6816 Bland St., 703-245-0111 (Springfield, VA). Pricey - yes, worth the drive - yes if you want to talk to an ACTUAL butcher who can customize your order. For brisket I have been using Union Meat Market in Eastern Market (DC) or if I am in a bind Canales Quality Meats (Expensive), which is also located in Eastern Market. To be honest I buy butts at BJS or Costco and Tri-Tips from Trader Joes because of the price and good quality. Let me know if you come across any others as I am always looking. Clink on this link for a Washington Post article that talks about some of the local meat markets. You may have to register to see the article but registration should be free.

Sean

Sean,

There is a foriegn food market - mostly hispanic & asian - off Braddock RD where I get my briskets. It's in the old Hechenger's building about 1/2 way between Edsall RD and the Springfield butcher. The always have a bunch of packers to pick from.

I'm not a fan of the Springfield Butcher shop. I haven't found them all that helpfull (I have friends who love it though).

I get butts and ribs at BJ's or Giant depending on the price.

Thanks for the tip on tri-tip at Trader Joes a while back.

Tom

There's a butcher in Damascus, MD (little bit of a haul for you). I think it's called like Spring Hill Meat Market or something. I haven't made the trip myself, but may do it Friday as I'm planning on doing a brisket this weekend. I'll report back if I make the trip.

Edit: Found it, it's called Gladhill.
http://pages.montgomerycountymd.com/food/gladhill.htm

I'm most likely going to head up there Friday as the book I got on meat for Christmas has convinced me of the evils of super market meat and I'd like to see what this place has to offer.

Picked up a brisket from Gladhill today. Decent shop. I got a 12 pounder, not a full packer brisket, but not fully trimmed either. Spent about $30 on it, so price was decent.

Guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Says he gets his meat from all over, beef comes from local and midwest sources, but his pork comes from up the road in Thurmont. Nice to hear he's got local sources. Said he goes through a lot of shoulders. He had a real good looking country ham hanging up, and fresh sausage in the case. From what I glanced at prices seemed to be pretty fair.

I'll probably be using this place now, their meat looked a lot better than the supermarket and had comparable prices. It's a little bit of a drive for me, but worth it I think. I'd definitely call ahead if you are looking for something specific to make sure he has it if you are going to drive all the way out there.

Tom,

So I checked out the international market you recommended for whole briskets. They were on sale today for 1.99 per pound. I could only find select, but I suspect that is the only thing they carry. Still, a great little find. Picked one up for a smoke tomorrow. Of course my two year old was fully traumatized by the whole frozen pig head in the case next to the briskets. She was still talking about it a couple of hours later. Thanks again for the tip.

Sean

Back