Burnt Ends from HH Brisket

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I am planning on smoke'n a full packer next weekend with high heat. I have never done burnt ends before and plan on doing them this time. My question is, do I let the temp come down below the 325 before I put the burnt ends back on? If so, what temp would be good and for how long? If not, how long would you keep the burnt ends on at 325? Thanks!

Tim

Tim, once I have foiled my brisket and it has reached the jiggly or probe tender stage I take the brisket off, chop up the point add sauce and rub then go from there. It's kind of a feel for thing. The burnt ends will need to render more and for me that's at least an hour and more like two hours. A lot depends at what stage my smoker is at temp wise. I like my ends a bit crusty on the outside. To me it's like meat candy.

Last edited:
325 is fine for an extra hour or 2. If your sauce is really sweet I would wait to sauce them till the last 30-45 minutes.

Great! I was hoping I could keep the temp up so they are not on there for 3-4 more hours. So basically, it's going to be based on feel as to when they are done??

Tim with the brisket itself the cook is determined by probing the flat. Once that is where you want it you can separate the point and carry on. When I said feel for what I meant depends on how much further rendered you like the burnt ends. Here are a couple of photos. Notice some ends were sacrificed before the end of the cook. They were great to eat in the first photo but I like them well rendered and crispy on the outside so my preference was the second photo. That's the feel for.
IMG_0531_zps71e955ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0532_zpsf44f91cb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Gary,

That makes sense! Thanks so much for the pics as I now know what to shoot for visually. Also, thanks for the hunger pains those images caused!! :) Can't wait to give it a shot next weekend! Blessings!

Tim

I'm also doing a HH 9 lb. Select packer tomorrow. Plan on separating point & flat at ~170, foiling flat (after re-rubbing fat side where point was) and re-rubbing point to sit and tighten on the grate for about an hour at 325-350. I'll then cube (I prefer about 1.5" chunks), sauce (usually No. 5 thinned with diluted beef broth) and return to smoker in an alum. pan for another 30-45 min. I'll then drizzle undiluted sauce on, toss and try to carmelize a little (expecting < 30 min).

While all this BE fun is going on, I'll cook flat until probe tender, remove from foil and place on grate to tighten over 20-30 min.

I'm also doing a HH 9 lb. Select packer tomorrow. Plan on separating point & flat at ~170, foiling flat (after re-rubbing fat side where point was) and re-rubbing point to sit and tighten on the grate for about an hour at 325-350. I'll then cube (I prefer about 1.5" chunks), sauce (usually No. 5 thinned with diluted beef broth) and return to smoker in an alum. pan for another 30-45 min. I'll then drizzle undiluted sauce on, toss and try to carmelize a little (expecting < 30 min).

While all this BE fun is going on, I'll cook flat until probe tender, remove from foil and place on grate to tighten over 20-30 min.

MmmmMmmmm.....can just about taste it right now. Don't forget to post some pictures.

My plan didn't work (and I'm currently not able to post from Photobucket..... long story). Anyhow, the BEs were more rubbery than I wanted. I believe it's because I separated flat & point at four hours, foiled the flat but put point directly on grill to tighten.

Next time, I would place entire thing in foil, THEN separate the point for BEs. Live & learn!

Monty,

Sorry to hear they didn't turn out as you wanted. I was wondering how they would end up by seperating the point from the flat when you did. I am planning on seperating once the flat is done and then throw the point back on. It would be nice to have them both finish at the same time, but from what I've been reading, it's well worth the wait! Thanks for sharing.

It would be nice to have them both finish at the same time, but from what I've been reading, it's well worth the wait!

As I discovered, much better to have the flat relax in a faux cambro while you do the BEs. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

So here are the burnt ends.......since it's the first time I've ever done these I'm not sure if they're supposed to look this way or not. I the point back on the smoker for 2 hours and then pulled it, cubed it, sauced it and put them back on for another hour. I did the brisket on HH and lowered the temp to 250 for the point. I'm starting to wonder if I should have had the temps a little hotter for the point. Either way, the taste was great!! The only issue was, I couldn't eat enough of these because of eating the brisket and a good number of "barley pops" filled me up!! Today will be a great day for leftovers!! Thanks for all the advice and tips!! I will do another one of these, but not until the weather warms up. We did get about 8" of snow while doing this cook!! God's wonderful snow globe :)

burntends_zpsd49f479a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They look great Tim. Now that you are over your first time you will have a much better idea on what you want. Some separate the point at the time of foiling, others from the very beginning and some at the end of the flat cook. Once you have cooked a few you will have your preference too. Well done.

Oh yes and don't forget any overcooked or dry pieces of flat make for theeee best chili beef you ever tasted. Marinade them in Franks Red Hot or whatever hot sauce and light up your life.:)

Last edited:
I finally got Photobucket to work by using a browser different than IE. (What a mess.) Some pics from my HH cook. Again, I removed point at time of foiling which--in my case--was a mistake with this Select packer. Flavor and appearance were great on the BEs, but they were on the chewy side. Not something you want with good BEs!

Dr. BBQ basic "sludge" recipe, i.e., his basic dry rub plus apple juice to form paste

Packer a little while before foiling

Flat tightening on grill after foiling and my two pans of BEs

Burnt ends. Probably some of the prettiest I've done before, but certainly not the most tender.

My plan didn't work (and I'm currently not able to post from Photobucket..... long story). Anyhow, the BEs were more rubbery than I wanted. I believe it's because I separated flat & point at four hours, foiled the flat but put point directly on grill to tighten.

I have had them come out like that when I didn't cook them long enough.

I don't do high heat briskets though, and have never cooked burnt ends at high heat. I separate the flat/point when the flat reaches 165, and foil and cook the flat until 190~. The burnt ends take a couple hours longer to get them how I like them. If you pull them before they reach the point where the collagen starts to melt, you haven't cooked them long enough and they will tend to have a rubbery texture, as you describe.

BTW, speaking of high heat brisket, I see that Bryan S hasn't been hanging around in the past couple years...Bryan is the king of high heat brisket! ;)

I foil the entire packer in a turkey pan with foil over the top until the flat is 190. Then I put the entire packer it back in until the flat is probe tender. When the flat is done I pull the packer and separate the point and let stand maybe 10 minutes. At that point I cube the point and put the cubes in a foil pan and liberally apply more rub and stir. They finish faster and get more flavor and crispy edges this way rather than putting the entire point back in. I put the cubes in the smoker at whatever temp it's cruising at but at least 275 for at least an hour but usually two and start checking them, stir them around some. If I sauce I do it for 20=30 minutes. Usually I don't sauce, I like them more of a dry rub with sauce for dipping.

Back