Burning partial briquettes question

Jason Smart

TVWBB Member
Like many here, I have leftover briquettes that did not completely burn in the bottom of my WSM during my first smoke.

I put all the 1/2 burned and solid pieces in my chimney for lighting tomorrow and have new charcoal outside the ring per the Minion method. The chimney is just under 3/4 full.

My question is will these half-burned pieces in my chimney affect the minion method as long as they eventually light the outside charcoal and hickory? I would assume not, but wanted to check with the more experienced folks. My concern would be that the individual smaller pieces would turn to ash quicker and somehow affect my temps. I'm only doing ribs so I'll just need 6-7 hours max....

The partially burned ones will burn up quicker because they are not full sized. I increase the amount of charcoal to make up the difference. You can always throw on a lit chimney if you come up short, just take a few lit out of the fire put them on the bottom of the chimney then fill it with charcoal.

In a wsm I use new charcoal in the chimney and leftovers go in the ring. Last weekend I did a 10 - 12 hour smoke just on left over KB.

For grilling I'll cover the bottom of the chimney with new and put the leftovers on top.

I have had no problem using partially burned briquettes in the chimney for the Minion Method. New or used both work for me equally well.

I always re-use whatever leftover coals I have left in the ring unless there's nothing in there but crumbs. I give 'em a good stir with a shovel to knock the ash off them, then take out the grate and ring and dump out the bowl. The leftovers burn up pretty fast, so take that into account. I use new in the chimney for Minion starts.

I also put my leftover coals in the charcoal ring, mixed in with new charcoal.
Works great.

Bob

Update....I did the leftover in the chimney plus about 6-7 new. New in the ring with hickory wood and went perfect....

Thanks for the replies

I use all my leftover KB in my performer and use new for a long smoke as I find I get more time out of new. But I don't waste 1 piece of KB as it is to expensive to throw out

Back