Burning Man Smokers w/Pics

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

Thanks to all the advice and help as I get ready for the 72-Butt Burning Man Smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Anyway, I wanted to share the outcome of our custom smoker fabrication. We built two smokers out of three 55-gallon drums and two Weber One-Touch Silver kettles -- all in the spirit of a WSM.

We have only fired them up once, and they run a little on the hot side, but I think I can adjust for that pretty well. They are definitely going to take much more attention than a WSM.

So here are some pics:

Two Smokers and the Fire Pit

Two Smokers with my friend Alex (aka the Soss Boss)

Close up of fire pit

One Smoker closer

Smoker with doors open

Closeup of closed smoker door

Bottom of smoker (notice kettle bottom)

Inside smoker bottom w/fire grate

The reality is setting in that I am leaving in five days...I am very excited and slightly frightened as well.

I can hardly wait.

icon_smile.gif

I guess that is why most of us don't have wives at the moment! In fact, the only way I can get away with all of this is because my girlfriend just started law school today and is much too busy to stop me. Heh. Heh.

Yeaaaa! That's what I am talking about. I bought a weber silver on clearance at target and am planning on building one myself.

Question if I may. Why did you make the bottom so tall? Also if there are any of those things that you would do different now what would it be.

I haven't found any old drums that had a food product in it. I have however found a place to buy new ones for $40 a piece. I am thinking that I may buy one and make the bottom out of an oil drum that I have pleanty access to. I don't know for sure still working on it.

That smoker ROCKS!! Congratulations, I have been plotting such a smoker myself but I already own a huge Gator Pit. Someday I might just do it. Great job. If you wanted to add a simple upgrade flange the doors. Killer man, Just Killer. D

I haven't found any old drums

Jeff, try farm feed stores in your area. I was working on a different project and found 'em for $17 at a feed store. I think they were used for rendered fat.

I'm not so sure food grade is necessary. The food grade barrels I've seen have had a plastic coating on the inside. Don't know if I'd want that inside a hot cooker.

Anyone else have thoughts on food grade versus other varieties of barrels?

Ever see a freezer packed with:
600 lbs of bone-in Pork Butt
24 Cornish Game Hens
16 Elk Loin Chops
2 Racks of Korabuta St. Louis Ribs
?

Here it is (with my friend Alex playing Vana White).

=============================

Jeff - We attempted to make everything as easy to access as possible and thought that raising it off the ground would make it easier to deal with the fire and the meats.

I am not sure yet what I would do differently, but I will tell you when I get back home.

John - you can pretty easily pull the plastic liner out of the drums and then they are good to go. I have also found several places on the net that sell them.

I personally wouldn't want to cook in a barrel that had chemicals in it - maybe I'm just paranoid...

Wow. BBQ at Burning Man. Now I've seen it all!
I havent' been out to burning man in years. But bringing a smoker is a great idea.

And yeah, given the weather they might run a little hot. You might, too! Prepare to feed the freaks!

Have a blast out there. And post pix please!

Originally posted by Morgan Sziraki:
HJP
Remember the Baker Beach days ?

Those were before my time. My first was ...93 or 94? back when there were no fences, it was way the heck out there on the playa, plus they let people drive and shoot guns. Mayhem I tell you. the only thing that woulda made those days more perfect would be some Q.

But thinking about it, keeping that playa dust outta your cooker and off the meat might be quite a challenge!

Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
Ever see a freezer packed with:
600 lbs of bone-in Pork Butt
24 Cornish Game Hens
16 Elk Loin Chops
2 Racks of Korabuta St. Louis Ribs
?

Here it is (with my friend Alex playing Vana White).

=============================

I only count 21 cornish game hens?
icon_razz.gif

[whine]I'm jealous[/whine]

Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
But thinking about it, keeping that playa dust outta your cooker and off the meat might be quite a challenge!

I agree. I am mentally preparing the best I can for any eventuality. We tried to make the smokers as air tight and dust proof as possible, but we'll have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Jay B:
I only count 21 cornish game hens?
icon_razz.gif

[whine]I'm jealous[/whine]

There are three more on the bottom shelf!
icon_biggrin.gif

I leave in 36 hours. Woo hoo.

Back