Build up on Lid

ah heck, scrape it out and throw it in some bbq sauce, mmmmm...
icon_smile.gif
Good Luck -Dan

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Tony the amount of wood you use or the type of charcoal you're using is not what is causing the problem with creosote/soot. The creosote/soot is coming from one or two things. Either green wood and/or the fire is not getting proper air flow. The fire (coal and wood) need oxygen and exhaust to 'burn', if they do not have enough of both, the fire will 'smolder' and that will give you soot and the green wood will give you creoste.

Larry, I probably have both problems and here is why... I use a Candy therm in the lid of the smoker to measure pit temp. I always plug one of the top vent holes with foil and poke the therm through so it will remain stable. I'll bet only two vent holes open at the top is killing my air flow. Also, I am betting that the wood is also a problem because I always buy the stuff that is at either walmart or kroger. I have no idea if this stuff is really aged properly. So, I am going to start with measuring pit temp a different way which is easy enough. I am also going to order some smoke wood online to ensure I am getting some quality stuff.

It's not plugging one vent hole thats doing it. I have my lid therm. screwed into one of the vent holes myself with no issues. Just wanted to eliminate that for you.

Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
It's not plugging one vent hole thats doing it. I have my lid therm. screwed into one of the vent holes myself with no issues. Just wanted to eliminate that for you.

Then it could be the wood I am using. I am going to still give both approaches a shot to see what happens.

Ok, I just spent 3 grueling days cleaning my WSMs.
icon_mad.gif
The gunk that was built up on the lids of both of them was just plain ridiculous. I got them both cleaned; paying special attention to the lids and the rims of the cooking chamber. Here are a few pics of one of them - the other one is covered and waiting for a big cook...

I am cooking some Beef Ribs and Fatties tomorrow. I will post my progress of the cook in another thread, but the results of the cooker condition I will post here.

Tony, do you use water when you cook?? I stopped using water in the pan and the accumulation of stuff in the lid as been reduced dramatically

Tony are you sure you didn't buy new WSMs??? Nice work man!

I should have take "Before" pictures - the lids were really gunked up and coated pretty thick. That was a lot of work getting that stuff off. Yuk!

Originally posted by paul h:
Tony, do you use water when you cook?? I stopped using water in the pan and the accumulation of stuff in the lid as been reduced dramatically

Paul,

I have been using a foil-wrapped pan for some time. So, water is not a factor in this case; however, the last cook I did I used water and I plan to continue for a while. I interested in seeing my results.

Well, the gunk came back! It was only a very thin layer but it would have continued to build up into a thick, crusty, gooey-when-hot mess!
icon_frown.gif
I was able to take a damp cloth and wipe it all out to restore the finish of the lid. So, here is what I did... I used water in the pan and I went ahead and used wood chips this time. I was careful to follow one of the approaches that Chris mentions on this site. I put down a layer of coals, a layer of chips, a layer of coals, a layer of chips and one more layer of coals. Ok, so I threw the remaining pieces on top of the last layer of coals. Then I used the Minion Method...

The cook went great; however, I still got a thin layer of build up. Next time, I am going to use Royal Oak lump only - no wood at all. Then I will see what happens. Until I get this resolved, I will have to wipe down my lid after each cook.

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
Well, the gunk came back! It was only a very thin layer but it would have continued to build up into a thick, crusty, gooey-when-hot mess!
icon_frown.gif
I was able to take a damp cloth and wipe it all out to restore the finish of the lid. So, here is what I did... I used water in the pan and I went ahead and used wood chips this time. I was careful to follow one of the approaches that Chris mentions on this site. I put down a layer of coals, a layer of chips, a layer of coals, a layer of chips and one more layer of coals. Ok, so I threw the remaining pieces on top of the last layer of coals. Then I used the Minion Method...

The cook went great; however, I still got a thin layer of build up. Next time, I am going to use Royal Oak lump only - no wood at all. Then I will see what happens. Until I get this resolved, I will have to wipe down my lid after each cook.

Tony..............something is wrong. After your post a week ago I went out and took a pic of my dome lid. I have had this particular WSM for 4 years and have never touched the lid. I've burned KF and RO Lump with predominately hickory chunks.

5--31-08006.jpg

5--31-08005.jpg

Larry,

I have no idea of what my problem could be. I guess I could completely scrape down the smoker, power wash it out and start from scratch basically. That will be some work but if I am going to get to the bottom of this I have no choice. Time to get busy.

I just cleaned my water pan. I took the foil off of it. I foil my pan the way Chris instructs. I noticed that there is a bronze-ish color on the foil; in fact, it is the same color as the film that builds up in the lid when it get wet while I am scrubbing it out. Burning or scorching foil wouldn't be the problem would it?

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:

Mitch, are you having the same ooey-gooey around the lid problem?

Tony, I believe so. After just my 2nd smoke on the WSM there is a enough ooey-gooey black tarish looking residue covering the underside of the lid that you can't see the porcelin enamel, and the lid is sticking pretty good if its sits on the smoker for a good couple hours without peeking at it.

My foil has the same brownish color, and the stem on the termometer (clipped on to upper vent) is completely black as well.

I figured this was normal, but maybe I am wrong? I attributed it to the grease from the food dripping into the water pan, mixing, and then evaporating causing the grease to go airborne?

I'm using Kington briquettes, and hickory wood chunks. Do you think smoking on the top grate, and then putting a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom grate to prevent drippings from going into the water pan would cause a cooking difference? I don't mind it, just kind of gets everything real messy.

Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:

Mitch, are you having the same ooey-gooey around the lid problem?

...Do you think smoking on the top grate, and then putting a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom grate to prevent drippings from going into the water pan would cause a cooking difference? I don't mind it, just kind of gets everything real messy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that might not be a good thing because the grease and drippings could run over the sides, past the water pan and into the fire causing real problems.

I don't know whats up and why we are having this problem but there must be a common denominator and I intend to find it. This is really weird!

Larry, do put any water in the water pan, or do you go with a different method?

I use sand in one WSM and 2 fire bricks in the other. I haven't used water in several years.

I'm clueless as to why you guys are getting the 'goop'.......if you're using fully seasoned wood chunks (not green) and you have enough airflow in and out, you should NOT get creosote/soot build up at all.

I'm clueless as to why you guys are getting the 'goop'.......if you're using fully seasoned wood chunks (not green) and you have enough airflow in and out, you should NOT get creosote/soot build up at all.

Other than controlling the lower vents and placement of the wood chunks in the charcoal - is there any other way to control airflow?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:

Other than controlling the lower vents and placement of the wood chunks in the charcoal - is there any other way to control airflow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not really but one thing that helps airflow is to make sure you knock the build up of ash (if using Kingsford) down. Kinsford produces ALOT of ash, compared to lump or Rancher, and that will hamper airflow. Basically you want your coals and wood to 'burn' not 'smolder'. Smoldering produces the yucky stuff. Always keep the top vent 100% when cooking and never close all three bottom vents for an extended period of time. That will cut off the oxygen and airflow (which fire requires to burn), which will cause the coals to smolder and eventually die.

Back