Build date information for a first generation Summit Charcoal Grill?

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Recently purchased a new first generation Summit Charcoal Grill from a local dealer. It's a few years old but has sat in the back of the store for a long time. Came to with everything fully wrapped and in NIB condition. I'd like to know more about the build date. Having the serial number, is there a way to back into the build date/code?

Recently purchased a new first generation Summit Charcoal Grill from a local dealer. It's a few years old but has sat in the back of the store for a long time. Came to with everything fully wrapped and in NIB condition. I'd like to know more about the build date. Having the serial number, is there a way to back into the build date/code?
Why don't you just register the grill with Weber it should show up.

The two letter code will tell you the grill's model year. Weber's model year starts on October 1 and runs thru September 30. For example, a grill with a code of DU (model year 2002) could be built anytime between October 1, 2001 and September 30, 2002.

A first generation Summit should be in the 1997 to 2002 range.

I missed the operative word: "charcoal". Apologies!

Last edited:
I did register it... didn't notice the build date. Thank you for the suggestion.
This is actually my bad Chris is correct so in this example using my performer:
Model Number1421001
Serial NumberAU 0442756
Purchase Date6/07/2013
Register Date5/09/2018

The purchase date was 2013 but the AU says its a 2012 model so it does not tell you the exact date it was built but close enough if you ask me.

Might be a long shot but I was trying to figure this out as well for my summit charcoal after purchase. I assumed it was 2016 since the Ace I bought this from last year had this as a floor model since this grill came out. Using the same 2 letter coding that the new Weber pellet grills use
AUTHORIZED
It follows my logic as the 2 letters at the start of the serial number are AR. 2016. What are the 2 letters for your charcoal summit? Be curious, but will blow my theory out of the water if you have a TU or a ZE…

Might be a long shot but I was trying to figure this out as well for my summit charcoal after purchase. I assumed it was 2016 since the Ace I bought this from last year had this as a floor model since this grill came out. Using the same 2 letter coding that the new Weber pellet grills use
AUTHORIZED
It follows my logic as the 2 letters at the start of the serial number are AR. 2016. What are the 2 letters for your charcoal summit? Be curious, but will blow my theory out of the water if you have a TU or a ZE…

Like yours, mine was a floor model that I recall being in the store for many years. Mine begins with AR as well.
I checked the registration page on Weber.com and it doesn't show build date.

Back