Buffalo Brisket

Les Stubby

TVWBB Fan
A good friend just received some buffalo, and also just purchased a smoker. He has one or two buffalo briskets and wonders if they're any special tricks to smoking them. They are only 3 or 4 pounds each and very lean. I would think high temp with foil would be the way to go, but my brisket experience is very limited. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Les Stubby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think high temp with foil would be the way to go, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go with a lower temp plus foil. Bison tends to seize at high temps. Foil @ 150-155. One can temp after foiling with a low heat cook but check sooner than for beef as bison often hits tender sooner.

Kevin

Thanks for your reply. By lower temp, are we talking in the 250 degree range? Your expertise is always appreciated.

Les

I've cooked a few of them. I cooked it at a temp around 200-225º. I foiled when it had good color. My guess would of been in the 155-165º range....

these things dry out quick and become overdone in a hurry, so just watch them. A very unique tasting brisket...

I'm with Scottie. Temps can be raised (or allowed to creep up) after foiling but heed the caution to check sooner and more often.

Back