Buckboard Bacon

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
I was just handed a thawed 4.86# pork butt. I have a box of the Hi Moutains Buckboard Bacon cure. How much of the cure do I need to use? With my work schedule leaving me no options, I need to start the cure tonight. How much out of the three packets in the box do I need to usse for the cure? The bone will be removed, and it is pretty much trimmed and ready to go.

Steve, I'm doing this from memory so if I'm wrong correct me. Doesn't the one box/3 packs do a total of 25 lbs. of meat? If that's right then just use 1/2 of one pack. Measure out the powder using TBS and or tsp and just use 1/2 a pack. If you have a gram scale you could weigh out one pack, then 1/2 it. Or you just eyeball it. It's been 3 years since I used that cure, so not sure if I remember it right. Anyway I HTH.

That's what I was thinking. Just wanted to get the opinions of the seasoned smokers. Thanks a ton Bryan. Your recomendations, as well as a few others on this site, are the gospill. Thanks for the speedy reply. just so you know, Your posts have saved my a$$ many times as I learn how to cook on the WSM. Thank you so very much. Sorry for the spelling errors. Miller Lite distracting me right now. Beer and cooking dead animals go together so well. Thanks again!!!!

I just looked at the instructions earlier but don't remember exactly. Ok I just looked again. 1 tablespoon and 1 1/4 teaspoon per pound. For 5 pounds that would be about 7 tablespoons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I just looked at the instructions earlier but don't remember exactly. Ok I just looked again. 1 tablespoon and 1 1/4 teaspoon per pound. For 5 pounds that would be about 7 tablespoons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No harm meant at all Jeff. I think you mean 6-6.5 teaspoons or about 2 Tablespoons.

Back