Buckboard Bacon Tips

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
Ok I did it. I stopped by Sportsmen’s Warehouse and bought some Buckboard Bacon cure. I am going to try it out in the next few weeks. Any tips from those of you who have done this before?

1. If you don't have one already get yourself a food slicer. Doesn't have to be a great one but you want to be able to slice the bacon at your preferred thickness.

2. Find a good source for fresh free range eggs
icon_smile.gif

Buy some 2 gallon size zip lock bags for brining. Holds a single shoulder quite well and makes it easy to rotate the shoulder once a day.

After the smoke, let the shoulder rest for an hour then refrigerator overnight before thin slicing.

Get a seal-a-meal or food saver. One 8 pound shoulder will yield quite a bit of bacon and you really don't want to waste any, do you? Then freeze some!

Plan to be strong armed into a repeat cook by everyone who tastes the delicious product of your efforts. Friends and family can be very demanding...

Enjoy.

Try adding some maple syrup to during the cure. Mighty tasty. It doesn't take much. I didn't measure but it wasn't much over a tablespoon.

I sliced my first batch thick not quite a 1/4". While it was really good I think I would preffer it be sliced thinner. I am going to try it thinner on my next batch. I used my food saver to make 4-5 slices in a pack and froze for later.

Don't leave it on too long. I left it too long the first time and it was way too salty. Tasty but way too salty. The second time I followed the directions just right and it turned out better.

You won't believe how good it is. And the slicer thing is great advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrin M:
Don't leave it on too long. I left it too long the first time and it was way too salty. Tasty but way too salty. The second time I followed the directions just right and it turned out better.

You won't believe how good it is. And the slicer thing is great advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first batch was also too salty. 2nd time around, I changed the soak water every 30 minutes with fresh ice water and agitated the soak container every few minutes. This yielded much better results.

I just did the bacon two weeks ago and it was fantastic. I don't want to highjack your thread so I started a new one with pictures here on the site. There are allot of posting rules on this site so if the Administrator wants to merge all the buckboard bacon posts that's fine with me.

Back