Buckboard Bacon: Slicing

It's been a while since I made Buckboard Bacon, but I have a couple of butts curing in the fridge right now.

Question about slicing: I've seen posts that say to slice across the grain, but when I look at regular bacon, it seems to be sliced with the grain.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I have access to a restaurant slicer and don't want to mess this one up.

TIA

You have access to a slicer? You lucky dog!!!

I cut my first butt with the grain. Once was enough. The chew was much more challenging no matter how crispy I fried it. Since then, I carefully inspect the grain and cut across. I also learned to let the butt chill overnight to stiffen before slicing.

Tom, I do loins for back bacon but I cut them across the grain on my Globe Slicer, what a great Ebay find that was, and Maple Back Bacon pics
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Bryan, do you partially freeze your loins prior to slicing or just refrigerate it 1st?

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, I just put them in the fridge for a day or two, then slice. They are quite firm since alot of the moisture is out of them and they are cold.

Bryan,
How long can back bacon stay in the fridge just placed in a regular ziplock bag?

Dave, I believe it would depend on the salt content and whether or not you use curing salt. I'm sure someone can give you a more specific answer, but I think you can get a couple of weeks with curing salt, maybe about a week without. It freezes well, so if you have a lot I would go that route.

David,
I used Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure. I gave some people at work a few chunks and froze a few unsliced chunks. I was just curious as to how long the chunks, once thawed, will keep in the fridge in a ziplock bag. They were not vac packed.

Back