Buckboard bacon in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W.

TVWBB Fan
I pulled my buckboard bacon and rinsed it this morning, and it's been on the WSM at a steady 200 degrees for about an hour. Bacon and eggs for breakfast tomorrow...or maybe BLT's for dinner.

Well...?? How did it go?

My cured pork is soaking right now, getting ready to go on the ol' WSM.

Trying a pork loin this time, too, for canadian style bacon.

Tasty, but a little too salty for my liking. May have to reduce the curing time a little for the next run.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John W.:
[qb] Tasty, but a little too salty for my liking. May have to reduce the curing time a little for the next run. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you cure it for the full 10 days this time? Was the butt cut in half?
I'm interested to hear anything that will help me with my first attempt.

Me too... I've got the cure from Hi-Mtn and was concerned about cutting the butt in half and what affect that will have on the curing time. I wrote to Hi-Mtn but got no response.

OOPS!!! Update... I just got off the phone with the folks at Hi-Mtn and they said cutting the butt in half should not affect the curing time. Should still remain 10 days.

So I guess we'll see...

I cut it in half and cured it 9 days. Once the bone is out, and since they tell you to put cure inside the cavity, it probably doesn't make any difference. Maybe I should have rinsed it longer. I rinsed about 1-1/2 hours and changed the water twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back