Buck Board bacon

Nice! Where did you find the pork belly? How expensive is it? Is it significantly less than buying store bought?

Bill

Edit: My bad. I was thinking bacon, not canadian bacon (brain cramp). Still very nice!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Schmitz:
Nice! Where did you find the pork belly? How expensive is it? Is it significantly less than buying store bought?

Bill

Edit: My bad. I was thinking bacon, not canadian bacon (brain cramp). Still very nice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill-- It should be significantly less. Hit a Hispanic market (or an Asian one) for bellies. Prices are usually cheap for bellies. Most commercial bacon is injected and a fair amount of the net weight is water. Keep this in mind when cooking homemade dry-cured bacon and cook at a lower temp than you'd cook commercial injected bacon; there is much less water loss because there is less to lose.

Good stuff like this is certainly a good reason to buy a slicer. I've had the bacon my dad has made using the same method and it is delicious.

There isn't much I can imagine being better than a BLT using this bacon, and fresh in season tomatoes.

Back