Brontosaurus question...

So I did a 12.8 lb packer in the WSM yesterday. (I thought it was cowzilla...I just had to have it.)

Um. Question:

How in the heck are you supposed to get that thing to fit on the grate?

I had to kinda twist it and crimp one end, and then use a match stick to put the lid on one side and kinda stuff the meat up under and shove and groan and use a fork lift...and then sit on the lid to get it closed!!!

Now, 1/2 way through the cook it had shrunk, but I still had some issues.

What is the upper limit? Do you buy by weight? or bust out the tape measure and but like that?

You don't trim to fit the grill do you?

Just curious to know what the 'pros' do here.

Thank you.

Never done this myself but I've heard of others who have laid the brisket over an empty soda can or laying it over a triangular shaped rib rack. It shortens it up enough to fit and then when it shrinks-up they remove it.

Put it in between the handles on the top grate.
icon_wink.gif

I prop the packer over the handles.

Then lay a thick layer of foil along the edges of the wsm to deflect direct heat.

I have cooked as large as a 15 lb packer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Put it in between the handles on the top grate.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the ticket!

One time I had a long one I draped over my inverted rib rack, then tucked the ends inside the handles.

After several hours, I pulled out the rib rack, but the thing was still so long I had to keep it tucked between the handles.

The ends cooked up kinda crooked, but they were still tasty!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back