Bronto Ribs -Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wont believe it...i got my bro to bring home his digi cam.. i charged the lil sucker.....

so i had 8 racks of beef flanken style ribs (26 pounds) layed out on my counter...rubin them up.. showing them off to 6 of my cuzins, who i am also cookin for tonight.....well with all the exitement or rubbin,stacking and loading up the smoker....i tottally forgot to take any biggining pics of them...MY LUCK RIGHT!!!!

well...so i got 4 racks on top and 4 racks on bottom all stacked in a rib rack...i rubbed them just with some pepper, garlic and onion poweder...i learned that my family is not accostomed to the spices and heat that you guys eat...so i did it this way....

i got lump underneath(which im really happy with) i used it also last time and it worked well so i using it again now for this 6-7 hour cook... i put three chunks of cherry as well....and now my guru is puffin away stable at 225 for the past 2 hours or so.....midway ill prob switch the top to bottom and visa versa...ya know what the guru needs. it needs a "basting" button that suspends the guru for about 15 min...came to some close call on not puttin the fan plug back in....neways.. so thats wher i stand now...ill have done pics to come around 6pm LA time....well i think thats all for now...keep ya posted if anything crazy happens...take care

Mords,

You gotta take a vacation or something, man!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Send 'em when you can . .
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.....midway ill prob switch the top to bottom and visa versa... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mords, when you move the bottom ones up to the top and vice versa don't forget to flip the ribs also at that point. The side/end thats point down towards the coals gets flipped so now it's pointing towards the lid. Bryan
icon_wink.gif

VACATION!!!! heheh im on vacation.....i start work again sept8th...not a bad deal eh...ive been here in la smoking the last month..yes, i work in a school

fliping the bronto ribs....uch its such a pain....they barely fit in those rib racks...i aactually busted one trying to make it alil wider...but thanks for the reminder...im going to try...but will see ..last time i did them.. i didnt flip them....will see how diff it is....

oh my big blue gloves came from amazon today...yeah.....

ps..bryan...i odered texasbbqrub.....thanks a mill man.....ill put up the pics later

pps how do i see whos on the list now....it was mentioned in another post but cant figure out how to see...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
VACATION!!!! heheh im on vacation...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL! I know!
icon_biggrin.gif
Everybody knows.. Never mind....
icon_razz.gif

Mords, At the top of this page click on FORUMS that takes you to the main forum page. Go the whole way to the bottom of that page below the recipes and you'll see who's online Bryan

Ok bill ya got me
icon_razz.gif
riht back at ya....
thanks bryan thats so cool...heehe... were all on here now......Hey you guys arent on vacation what are you doing home...jk

Rob---i work in Nassau county...how cool...
NEWAYS did you see the part of the cow it comes from.....um i guess you did cuz you saw the monster ribs.....the jewish folks eat flanken ribs cut in half all the time...they put it in chulent (stew)...i dont know what else to call it but to show your butcher the map....but if you want to drive to the main streeet exit off the LIE there is a store right there...or another store were i get my stuff is in the five towns...cedarhurst lawrence area.....both those locations can make it for ya....but it aint cheap.....i payed just a tad of $200 for my dinner tonight...remember im eating Kosher meats.....
any kosher butcher would know waht your talking about..but you have to ask them not to slice them in half...mabye ill post a pic of how the butchers USUALLY cut flanken....an idea...ttyl....

also...i had to give a stir to the lump as well as add a few more pieces.. i wanted to bring the temp up to 250 for the remainder and it was having big time trouble......i think the prob was that i didnt really put a full chimney of lump inside.. i was shmoozin while it was ready and the lump sorta got used up fast in the chimney lighter....it really gets eatin up in that thing......
oh well.. live an learn...comin off in an hour

Ok guys here are the pics....
first one i think is that i had to move the ribs in diff place cuz they were too squished in the rib rack and especially when i took them out to flip.. fogettaboutit... no way they were going in...then just some shots of the bottom level ribs...and the rest pretty self explanitory..sorry about the turning the head thing.. next time ill make the pics striaght....

oh and what would my pics be without a wacky pic of my baby girl...enjoy

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMnDJuxcOWb7A

mmm how come this link thing aint working...oh well.. let me know if its working by you?

Mords Buddy NOW THAT"S SOME RIBS did you skewer them
icon_eek.gif
LOL Meaty suckers they are. Have to put them on the to do list. Might have to push the roll aside one weekend
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bryan

Pictures working here, boss!

Wow, those are some bronto ribs all right!

Cute picture of the BBQ lover. Did she just polish off those bronto ribs by herself?
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice photos, Mords.

Great smoke ring. Looked like a slice of brisket on top of a rib bone!

Cute kid, too. My boy is 3. He's not a big meat eater...unless I cook it outside. Grilled or smoked. He doesn't care, as long as he gets some. He follows me around the house begging for samples!

buddies!!!! couldnt have done my skewered bronto ribs without ya....oh right...i didnt skewer them...maybe next tim bryan...hehe...
icon_biggrin.gif

my older child...2.5 years loves brisket....she luvs the ends big time....my sister made some potatoes yeserday...and she put cayanne and chili powder on them....my lil one ate them up.. no one touched them...their mouths were on fire...mmmmm...

i fixed the link..thanks

push off the roll bryan......and when i get to NY hopefully ill be doing a roll.....until next time.......

thanks

Mords
Bubbela,
Those are ribs to be proud of !!!!!
How do you like the hardwood charcoal as compared to Kingsford ????

I am going to try some hardwood this weekend.

I'm on a mission to find a chuck roll and some flanken ribs.

Al

if the ribs dont look to good.. i guess i still got my kids right....neways....um regarding the hardwood...well...the way i did it this time wasnt ssoo good...i let the lump sit in the starter for too long and i think i lost a lot of my heat...but the other times i did a cook...even though it was for only 6 hours.. i filled up the ring with unlit and poured a starter full ontop of them....and had no probs...it was more than enough.....

this time i only put about 15 unlit in and about half a starter full....it lasted about 5 hours steady..but then i actually added some more lump and then i just hit it again with about 15 kingsford.......

im stilll not really sure what happened this time...but i think it can work..just gotta get a feal for it...and it sounds much cooler if you say your coookin with wood....so its worth a shot....
and grillin over the stuff.. is big time much cooler......
and when i get back to ny im gettin a chuck roll too.....later

A snippet from a lost episode of "The Flintstones"

Fred : Willma, what are we having for dinner tonight ?

Willma : I don't know Fred. You know we are having that party and Barney and Betty Rubble are coming, along with your boss Mr. Slate and Joe Rockhead from the lodge. I don't know what to cook.

Fred : I know....we'll invite that guy Mords from the school that Pebbles goes to....he makes the cutest little bronto ribs.

Seriously mords....nice and LARGE. Maybe this weekend for me.

jeff

Bryan must be feeling ill !! He just said he was going to push off making a chuck roll! I guess the next thing that is supposed to happen is me not using mesquite for my smoke wood!!??
icon_smile.gif
icon_eek.gif

Hey Mords,
How was your cooking done for the bronto ribs? Did you wrap them at all during the cooking process or left thenm un-wrapped the entire time? What temps did you use and for how long. Those are the best looking ribs I ever saw.

Nick P.

Hey Nick, thanks for the compliment....no i dont wrap them....thats the texas crutch right....neways...nothing against texas i just dont like foil.....yes i copied that..actually i have nothing agianst foil just never had the opertunity to use it.....neways......i had a rock solid 225 throught the entire cook....midway i flipped bottom rack to top and VV and also flipped the ribs individually.....and then you have to be creative about puttin them back in the rib rack...cuz they wont fit! oh and carefull when you lift lid afterwards to baste if you will...one rack o ribs fell on floor...hey nothing a lil washing off cant fix....so i basted at the midway mark with some Apple cider vinegar and oil....i part ACV to 2 part oil..and then another time or two....the last 45min or so i bumped up the temp to 250 for the remiander of the cook...for a total of 7 hours....it can be done anywere 5-7 hours but i think its much bettter when left to the 7 hour mark...if need be im sure 6 will do fine but def need more than five hours.....good luck with your if you do decide to cook these babes....and you really only need 2 per avg person....good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back