BroilMaster P3 Restore

I picked up a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG this week for $0 - it needs work, the previous owner bent the left hand shelf bracket and partially ripped the bolt out of the bottom cook box - I haven't decided if I should patch the partial tear with a fender washer or use the grill as a donor for parts.
The cooking grates are porcelain cast iron and have a few chipped areas, the burner is stainless but seems to have no holes.
The briquette grate is good as is the warming grate and the stainless heat plate that sits under the burner.
The thermoset shelves are in decent condition - need a bit of cleaning.
The BBQ was full of leaves and mouse droppings & stank like mouse urine as it probably sat for a couple of years un-used.
It came with a heavy chain and a locked padlock that I am going to have to cut off with an angle grinder

Photos are from the FBM listing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 003.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 003.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 002.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 002.PNG
    858.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM 001.PNG
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-03-23 at 07.33 AM.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 19
Great deal. I have repaired holes if not too big with JBWeld high heat putty. You may be able to then sand it and use some large washers to attach the shelves again.

I picked up a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG this week for $0 - it needs work, the previous owner bent the left hand shelf bracket and partially ripped the bolt out of the bottom cook box - I haven't decided if I should patch the partial tear with a fender washer or use the grill as a donor for parts.
The cooking grates are porcelain cast iron and have a few chipped areas, the burner is stainless but seems to have no holes.
The briquette grate is good as is the warming grate and the stainless heat plate that sits under the burner.
The BBQ was full of leaves and mouse droppings & stank like mouse urine as it probably sat for a couple of years un-used.
It came with a heavy chain and a locked padlock that I am going to have to cut off with an angle grinder

There are a few possible solutions for the damaged cookbox. Joe's suggestion, piece of somewhat bendable sheet metal, slotted angle or similar metal stock, etc...

Great deal. I have repaired holes if not too big with JBWeld high heat putty. You may be able to then sand it and use some large washers to attach the shelves again.
I am thinking of using a fender washer on the inside and outside of the cookbox to sandwich the damage between and support the shelf - I had a look at the local hardware store and they have 1.5 inch 3/8" bolt washers available that may do the job and they will be relatively hidden.

I have posted this a few times in the past, but when I saw how the shelves were only backed by the head of the nut I reinforced all of the bolts with 6" cut c-channel. I felt much better when picking up and moving the grill as the shelves on the P3 are really the only thing to grab on.
20210608_154157.jpg

I have posted this a few times in the past, but when I saw how the shelves were only backed by the head of the nut I reinforced all of the bolts with 6" cut c-channel. I felt much better when picking up and moving the grill as the shelves on the P3 are really the only thing to grab on.
View attachment 71886
I am going to wander the aisles of the local Home Depot to see what I can MacGyver.

The only time I move mine is when I stain the deck which has to be done every year here and I only move it 5' or so at most. But the original casters suck and barely work so I'm going to soak them with PB Blaster and let them sit for a week as the deck gets stained next week or so.

Last edited:
If you have the cart with an axle and 2 casters you still need to lift the grill with by the left shelf to wheel it around by the 2 larger wheels. Especially with sucky casters.

So I spent a couple of hours attempting to repair the severely damaged cookbox bottom and gave up - the tear was not worth repairing.
I had a partially restored D3CP (painted black metal cart with wooden shelves and a sticker based control console) - I turned 2 duds into one half decent grill (I am still on the hunt for stainless cooking grates as you can see in the photo below the porcelain on cast iron grills are pretty well pooched).
I saved the console from the Ducks Unlimited P3 with the valves, knobs and NG hose for future use/spare parts.

Attachments

• PXL_20230709_181212483.jpg
    PXL_20230709_181212483.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230709_181253271.jpg
    PXL_20230709_181253271.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 14
So I spent a couple of hours attempting to repair the severely damaged cookbox bottom and gave up - the tear was not worth repairing.
I had a partially restored D3CP (painted black metal cart with wooden shelves and a sticker based control console) - I turned 2 duds into one half decent grill (I am still on the hunt for stainless cooking grates as you can see in the photo below the porcelain on cast iron grills are pretty well pooched).
I saved the console from the Ducks Unlimited P3 with the valves, knobs and NG hose for future use/spare parts.
On my first run of BM grills I picked up 3. One lid and one cook box wound up in recycling. I took the best parts and made my grill and got the other in nice shape to sell. I eventually picked up 2 more so I got nice SS grates and shelves and them sold those off.

Long time Weber boy her finally converted to Broilmaster and have become an instant enthusiast!!
Story time…So about a month ago while perusing the ol marketplace interwebs I can across a gas series BM and thought for $50 it looked pretty nice. So do the ol, Is this still available? Got the yes and went and got it. As you can see it was in really decent shape and ended up being the T3 model they only made for a few years in 2007-8. The grates were line new, burner was in great shape? Just needed the grease cover for one side but I got 2 new ones. Had new briquettes and one side shelf. I did a quick sand and re spray with VHT high heat for calipers rated @900 degrees and ordered a new face plate cover and a new front shelf. Super impressed by the heat range, shelf flexibility etc. the stainless steel cart was a bit rusty in areas but with some elbow grease and the help of some Bar Keepers Friend she came out looking new again.
Now for part 2….

In my research looking for parts I found they made a charcoal grill too the C3 and thought that would be awesome to have the set but at $1200 I wasn’t parting from my Weber kettle for that price. So I thought why not start the search on the old marketplace again to see if one would pop up. Well what do you know after about two weeks of just random searches one did for $100 was able to talk him down to 50 and went and picked it up, as you can see, it was pretty rough but all the parts were there again a quick sanding a repaint and Bar keepers friend I was having it look new again too. Grates were in great condition but it didn’t have any shelves. So I ordered a used side one from eBay and now my set is complete. I’ve already tested and played with temp control and was able to get temps up to 600 on it and then held temps at 250 for 9 1/2 hours with one chimney full of charcoals on the side. I lit 6 BB briquettes and layer them next to the rest of the pile. Opened the bottom right vent about half way and opened the top vent about a 1/4 way. I was super amazed. Needless to say my Weber E-410 and Kettle have been sold back to the world and my backyard has some uniformed style to it along with a great story.

Thanks for reading this far and enjoy the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 17
Long time Weber boy her finally converted to Broilmaster and have become an instant enthusiast!!
Story time…So about a month ago while perusing the ol marketplace interwebs I can across a gas series BM and thought for $50 it looked pretty nice. So do the ol, Is this still available? Got the yes and went and got it. As you can see it was in really decent shape and ended up being the T3 model they only made for a few years in 2007-8. The grates were line new, burner was in great shape? Just needed the grease cover for one side but I got 2 new ones. Had new briquettes and one side shelf. I did a quick sand and re spray with VHT high heat for calipers rated @900 degrees and ordered a new face plate cover and a new front shelf. Super impressed by the heat range, shelf flexibility etc. the stainless steel cart was a bit rusty in areas but with some elbow grease and the help of some Bar Keepers Friend she came out looking new again.
Now for part 2….

In my research looking for parts I found they made a charcoal grill too the C3 and thought that would be awesome to have the set but at $1200 I wasn’t parting from my Weber kettle for that price. So I thought why not start the search on the old marketplace again to see if one would pop up. Well what do you know after about two weeks of just random searches one did for $100 was able to talk him down to 50 and went and picked it up, as you can see, it was pretty rough but all the parts were there again a quick sanding a repaint and Bar keepers friend I was having it look new again too. Grates were in great condition but it didn’t have any shelves. So I ordered a used side one from eBay and now my set is complete. I’ve already tested and played with temp control and was able to get temps up to 600 on it and then held temps at 250 for 9 1/2 hours with one chimney full of charcoals on the side. I lit 6 BB briquettes and layer them next to the rest of the pile. Opened the bottom right vent about half way and opened the top vent about a 1/4 way. I was super amazed. Needless to say my Weber E-410 and Kettle have been sold back to the world and my backyard has some uniformed style to it along with a great story.

Thanks for reading this far and enjoy the pic.
Where'd you get that faceplate panel? It looks like metal. The one I got from Amazon was plastic.

Back