BRITU rub on spares?

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm cooking both BBs and spares tomorrow and was planning to use BRITU rub on the spares as well as the BBs. Do you masters of the 'que use the same rub on both, or is there something else you use on spares?

Pig is pig, right?

Kevin,

Yep, gotta try it to see how I like it. There is a LOT of salt in the rub, and sugar, but I wanted to see how it taste since everyone raves over it.

I would cut the amount of salt in half and see if it's to much or not. I agree that using the full amount of salt is way to much.

The procedure calls for a 'dusting' which, to me, is light. Used that way it probably isn't salty but might well be if more is applied. (I don't 'dust'--but I don't use the BRITU rub either.)

The procedure also calls for saucing with a KC Original-honey mix which would seem, to me, to make the rub superfluous at best, especially if only lightly applied in the first place. I like rubs with more flavor and not so much sugar; apply more than a dusting because I like barky ribs; never sauce ribs during cooking or before serving, and will refuse them if they are served to me that way. But the combinations of rubs, cooking techniques and serving styles are limitless. Try many till you begin to see which way you like best.

I have used a variety of rubs on my spares, always come back to the BRITU. Family and I like it the best. This is dusted on not rubbed on. Apply like you would put salt on your french fries. My 12 year old daughter did the prep the other day while I was firing up the smoker and applied the rub like you would on a butt and it was indeed salty and not the best, but my wife still ate them so couldn't have been too bad.

Good luck.

Todd

Originally posted by k straker:
Try the Bone Suckin Sauce dry rub. I like in on everything, but it's best on ribs.
Are you serious? I have some but never used it.

Didn't think they were good so I never tried it yet. plus family likes sweet ribs. It isn't bbq unless it's sweet apparently.

Back