BRITU question..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Gonna try the BRITU this weekend. I've done spares a few times with good results, so I'm gonna try these little high dollar ribs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Don't wanna screw'em up! What is the MSG in the recipe for? Can it be omitted and still get good results. Also the firing method calls for 2 full chimneys of charcoal. Ain't that alot for a 4 hour cook? See alot of "NEVER CUT" the ribs in half to cook. What difference does it make? Needs some rib experts to help me out here!! I've picked up baby backs at Sams probably 10 times, only to put them back down and get spares instead! Twice as much for the same money. Been waiting for the meat dept to run a "90 days same as cash" deal but it aint happened!!..lol. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif guess I'll have to pay up if I ever want to try the BB's.

I'm in the same boat with you. I've only cooked bb's one time and while they were good I just can't get myself to pay $3.99/lb for them. Last time I went to Sam's club I got a case of spares for $1.19/lb and they are good quality. I think the bb's are not as difficult to cook as the spares but you will pay extra for that. I used the MM the last time I cooked spares and just didn't load up the charcoal ring as much as I normally do. I prefer not to cut the ribs in half (although I'm doing this right now until I get a pair of rib racks) becuase it just doesn't feel right. I'll have to try this BRITU stuff since most everyone likes it. As far as I know, MSG is just a flavor enhancer. If you have the freezer space, I would suggest getting a case of ribs at a time because you will save money.

Hi, Jim!

I can answer a few of your inquiries.......

Yes, you can leave the MSG out. It is a flavor enhancer and a lightning rod of controversy.

As far as charcoal..I use MM for every thing I cook. More lit coals for large loads and bad weather, less lit coals for mild weather and smaller loads. This all comes from experience...it's the only way you will ever learn fire control.

I think the most important thing is the cooker temp....use your own discretion on how to get there! It may only take 1 - 1 1/2 full chimneys(lots of factors will make a difference).....so ignore that part of the recipe and get your cooker temp to where it needs to be.

I have been cutting slabs of ribs in half for a long, long time. It is the only way I can increase my capacity for when I cater. NO effects whatsoever! They will take the same time as a full slab. When I foil, I put the slabs back together..into 1 full slab. The only time I never cut a slab in half is when competing and that is ONLY to have more pieces to choose from.

I love the baby's from Sam's! Very consistent in quality and weight. The price difference is really not that much compared to spares! Take a VERY close look at how much yield you get from spares. LOTS of waste. Even if you cook the trimmings, they are not that meaty with lots of cartiledge to pick thru. BB's have ZERO waste.

That about covers it! Best of luck!

Jim
Take the time to remove the membrane from the BB.
I buy mine at Sam's and about half of the racks have the membrane and half don't. (I wish I knew why.) But it is very important to remove it, they will be more tender. You'll be glad you did.

The last time I smoked BB I also had a friend give me some spares that he smoked on his big offset, so my family had a little taste-off. There was no comparison...the BB's were better and had much less fat (almost none). Kevin's right, one reason for the price difference is because the yield of BB is much higher.

I brought some BB to my office once and I swear they ate every scrap of meat and just left
a pile of bones. It was very rewarding.

Peter

they certianly are expensive litle buggers but ooohhh so good!!

On the msg I like it in my rub because it is a flavor enhancer but if you,or someone you are cooking for, has a sensitivity then by all mens leave it out. If you are having trouble finding it it is also sold under the brant name accent in most grocery stores.

Have fun and good luck

I'll second the remove the membrane statement. Makes a big difference.

Also, if you are using the BRITU rub, just remember to go light with it, as there is a lot of salt in the rub. Otherwise, ribs should come out great with little effort.

*WHEW* Thanks for the "leave the MSG out" advice, guys! I'm allergic to the stuff and so's the missus. I wanna keep my Biggest Fan happy so she'll keep approvin' my culinary hobby. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mark

I'm frankly puzzled by rub recipes that already contain 8-10 different spices-- including salt-- also feel the need to include MSG.

I would actually put in half the salt called for and then adjust it to your taste. I would do the same for the onion powder too.

I actually have never put in the MSG, so I don't know what I'm missing. I recall previous threads discussing its benefits and possible side effects, perhaps a search on BRITU and ACCENT together can provide more info. If anyone has any reservations about its use, leave it out.

Hey Jim,

Kroger always runs an ad in the Sunday edition of The Huntsville Times. About 3-4 times a year, they will have their B-Backs on sale for $2.99/lb. In fact, they were on sale the week of the Super Bowl. I grabbed 4 slabs ($31.37 total). The slabs are usually 2.25lbs or more and are unenhanced for the most part. I've never seen b-backs lower than $2.99. So start checking the papers a little more closely and get yourself a good deal.
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

The rub was put together for competitions. When you have large group of people to impress and some of them smoke, MSG does make a difference.
MSG occurs naturally in tomatoes and flour, pizza is a good source of MSG. About 3% of population is allergic. All that said you don't need it if you don't want it.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] The rub was put together for competitions. When you have large group of people to impress and some of them smoke, MSG does make a difference.
MSG occurs naturally in tomatoes and flour, pizza is a good source of MSG. About 3% of population is allergic. All that said you don't need it if you don't want it.
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Jim M.......this forum is kinda kewl...its almost like being able to "sit and talk" with some of the GREAT ones!

Jim, is "drying " the brown sugar a necessary step in this BRITU recipe? I've never done this in any other rub recipe.

Thanks, Jim W.

If you don't dry the brown sugar the get clumpy (will not pour freely). Might be able to get away with it if you make and use the rub right away. If you plan on storing drying is a must.
Jim

Jim, how did the bb's turn out? I've done spares once, and bb's 6 or 8 times, and I much prefer the baby backs.

Also, I have a market about 2 blocks from my house (The Meat Store). One my way to work this morning, I saw a sign in the window that read
"10 lbs. baby ribs- $12.99"

I'll be stopping in to check it out on my way home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howard Rowe:
[qb] Jim, how did the bb's turn out? I've done spares once, and bb's 6 or 8 times, and I much prefer the baby backs.

Also, I have a market about 2 blocks from my house (The Meat Store). One my way to work this morning, I saw a sign in the window that read
"10 lbs. baby ribs- $12.99"

I'll be stopping in to check it out on my way home. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The ribs turned out great. My wife usually will not eat ribs, but she did eat these and liked them!! I think I may have cooked them a little too fast, 3.5 hrs. They were excellent but I would liked for them to be a little more tender. For my money, the "country style" ribs at Sams are gonna be hard to beat.

Jim,

You have to cook them BB's a little longer than 3 1/2 hours. Now 4 1/2 hours without foil you would been right there. 3 hours, wrap in foil for about 1 hour, then unwrap, sauce and put on smoker for another 30-45 minutes...perfect.

Keep practicing, a not so tender rib is better than no rib at all.

A few comments:
1) I don't yet own a WSM (it's being shipped as I type) but have been slow-cooking BBs for years

2) maybe I'm a spoiled brat but I kinda laughed when people complain about $3.99/lb for them, I mean come on you can't even get a bad steak for that price and BBs are much better ... try buying some porterhouses, lobsters or a whole tenderloin and then you'll cry but boy oh boy it'll be worth it

3) "is there a difference between beef ribs and BBs?" good lord yes, my friends scoop up my BBs like crack fiends at a drug house, not to mention yield is much betetr with BBs as someone already pointed out

4) as for MSG, the eternal debate, but it's already in everything else commercially prepared so why not toss a bit in your rub, I find it makes the rub much better, if you're still averse then get "Accent" in the spice aisle which at least fools your eyes into thinking it's not MSG

5) cut the slabs in half if you like, only benefit/disadvantage is that you double the quantity of end pieces but the remainder cooks the same

6) when shopping for BBs I think the thin light ones are best but not always available, Sam's has pretty good ones usually

7) MSg incedentally really isd a flavor enhancer, it acts on the taste buds of your tongue to increase perception of tasts, similar to artichokes and in this light it's more like a drug than a seasoning

8) BBs have the wonderful characteristic that overcooking them is better than undercooking and as such they are very forgiving

If you ever have the chance go to the Rib Ticklin' Affair in Austin, TX for the rib cookoff competition. Orgasmic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back