BRITU question

Al Smith

TVWBB Fan
Using the BRITU method of "Firing Up The Cooker," what temp are you able to get the WSM down to before putting on the ribs, and does it happen in two hours?

Howdy Al, both times I've used the BRITU method my start temp was at 230 after the one hour preheat. Make sure all three bottom vents are closed during this time.

I had all bottom vents closed and the top half closed. Maybe it's leaking around the door. Think I'll try some aluminum tape next time.

When I do BRITU, I use the minion method even though the directions say otherwise. If I were in your shoes, I would put the meat on after about an hour even if the temp is a little high.

I think you are right though in that you might have air leakage. When you shut everything down after a cook, how long does it take for the fire to go out? Or when you're cooking, do you barely have to have your vents open to hold a temp of about 275? That or a long time for the fire to go out, would suggest a leak and the door is the first and easiest place to start. Try bending the door a little (carefully). You shouldn't need tape.

Are you running the door in normal position or upside down? Sometime just flipping it over helps. Give it a try. JC.

Jerry, I don't shut down when I'm done. I remove the mid section and let the remaining coals burn out. You're right about maintaining 275. It only takes about 1/3 open on the bottom vents.

John, I tried flipping the door over, but it didn't help. I've done all the bending to it that can be done. We're headed to town shortly, think I'll pick up some aluminum tape for the door, and maybe the vents if needed. I know one of the bottom shutoffs is looser than the others.

Thanks.

Back