Briskets at Sams

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.
The last three times I have been to Sams Club Joliet, IL they had 4 great looking 14-15lb full untrimmed packer briskets in the case.
Well I was there again tonight and I wanted to buy them. However I know Sams historicaly only sells flats, and that is exactly what the label stated BRISKET FLAT $2.89/LB. Now the WalMart next door has Packers for $1.67/LB.
So I call the butcher out and said to him these are untrimmed full packer briskets your selling them as Flats. He says ya I think they are usually smaller. I said right then i showed him where the flat would be and he said thats right. So I asked why are you selling them as Flats for over a dollar more than at Walmart next door. He actually says to me well none of us here really know what a full packer is so we just print the label. I said well is Sams now going to sell both? He says guess so. I say well can I get these for the 1.67/lb price. He says nope they say they are flats!
I just walked away just a little pissed off.

Rick

Go talk to the store manager. Now he/she may not know any more about briskets than the person you spoke to, but he just might make an inquiry to see if his store is making a mistake. To label and sell a packer as a flat has to be illegal. Point out their error. If you don't get satisfaction, I'd report the store to your local consumer affairs bureau. I'd be ripping.

At least your Sam's has brisket. Ours, in Niagara Falls, used to but they kept having to throw them out 'cause no one would buy them. You do know that Sam's recently went through a shakedown and they no longer have "meat managers". As I recall, that duty is now handled by either the produce or bakery manager or something like that..

Bill

Rick, on a side note. The price of $2.89lb for flats is pretty good. I know that's not the point but... it is a good price. I'b be pi$$ed too.
icon_mad.gif

Let us know if you go back for clarification. I would be ticked too. Wow, I hope that was just a low level stock boy you talked to, and not someone who is paid to know the difference.

In one of my trips to Sams I found whole packers marked FLANK .. $ 4.99. I called the meat manager out and asked about it. He realized the mistake , made the correction and could not have been any nicer about this mix up. It was nice to see someone care about doing their job wel

Rickl.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
You do know that Sam's recently went through a shakedown and they no longer have "meat managers". As I recall, that duty is now handled by either the produce or bakery manager or something like that..

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just noticed this a couple of weeks ago. Was this done to cut payroll or was there some other reason? I was used to "ringing the bell" to get a cut not found in the display case. There were a couple of huge meat smokers where the "meat managers" used to be.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff E.:
... Was this done to cut payroll or was there some other reason? ...

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe it was to cut payroll ~ Downsizing.

Bill

I'm pretty opinionated, I won't step foot in a wally world or Sam's club.

I'd rather pay more somewhere else than shop there.

Meat dept managers and the other more senior people in the meat dept make a great wage and are unionized.

When I worked at Luckys in LA, a long time ago, during any holiday, if the meat manager was working, he was pulling in approximately $75-$80 an hour, since we were all making triple time for our holiday pay. So during those days, that individual was the highest paid employee in the store, and it was a well known fact.

I had an older roommate when I was in college, and he was the meat dept manager for Safeway up in Chico, and he absolutely loved his job.

Sams in the Nashville area carry flats and full packers.

CAB Packers are 1.67 lb, flats are of course higher...

Sorry to hear y'all can't get the same in other areas.

Rick, that was just an uninformed meat worked... They have flats and packers at mySam's. They are marked significantly different in price... You just needed to find someone that knew what they were talking about.

I had a guy wanting to sell me cases of baby backs for the same price as spares a few weeks ago. I just couldn't cheat them, so I asked to talk with a manager that knew how to price the meat... Didn't seem right to cheat them... As the employee obviously had no clue what he was doing...

Back