Brisket ?

RandyP

TVWBB Member
I will be doing my first overnight brisket on my new wsm this weekend and wated to know at what temperature do you guys pull it off the smoker?

I did a pork butt last weekend and followed the recipe to the "T" and pulled the butt of at 190 degrees and wrapped it in foil for an hour and it seemed a bit over done. Don't get me wron it was delicious but I think I could have pulled it off at around 170 and foiled and it would have been even better.

I have been using the MM to start the fire with a full ring of charcole and a full chimney to start it. I live in Colorado so I am using a full chimney to compensate for the altitude.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Randy welcome to the board - if you do some searching around for threads on brisket you'll quickly see that it's not so much a matter of internal temperature as it is one of tenderness. That said, most briskets will be done at around 185-200F. It really depends on the piece of meat and the cooking technique used, especially whether or not you foil the meat @ 160-165 internal and let it keep cooking.

Even with your pork butt, it's a matter of feel not internal temperature.

The general guideline is that the larger chunks of BBQ meat are done when a probe will slide in with little resistance. In a brisket the place to check this is the thick part/center of the flat.

I also live in Denver metro and I have no problem with the MM using only 12 lit coals. But, I may have a different cooker setup (clay pot in place of water) so you should stick to what works for you.

Don't fear the brisket. Seriously. Especially with a WSM.

I've done several dozens of them on an old modded ECB through the years, and they turned out just fine--though with considerable effort. Got a 22" WSM this season and, well, it's pretty darned automatic with this puppy...!
icon_cool.gif

Sounds like the only thing you need to add to your set-up is a 6-pack and your golden. Soon you will be telling us of a gelatinous beefy meteorite (at least that's how it'll look!) to make us all proud.
icon_wink.gif

Just be the brisket, man. Be the brisket...

Randy, I am also doing a Brisket, but will be doing mine starting late this evening and doing the dreaded low and slow cook. I will do the MM method as well, and will be cooking at 225* throughout the cook. In terms of internal cooking temps, they are basically just a guide so to speak. Just keep an eye on the temps, and once you reach the 180 area, you will need to start checking for tenderness by just using your probe or something similar and once it goes in with no resistance at all, it is time to remove. I foil mine right around the 165* mark and then just monitor the internal until it reaches 180* and then start checking for tenderness as I have previously mentioned.
Above all, enjoy your cook and learn from it.
You will soon see that seasoning makes all the difference in the world, and there are tons of rubs on this site that are incredible. I will be using Kevin K's coffee/cocoa rub and we are looking forward to the end results.
Good luck with yours.

I put the brisket on last night at 7:30pm went to bed around 11:30pm and the temp had settled in around 225. When I got up this morning at 6am the temp was at 205 and my 13lb brisket is looking wonderful.

I srated taking temp readings from the point to the flat and they varied quite a bit, anywhere from 190 in the fatty part of the point to 170 in the flat.

I wrapped with foil and will let it stay on the wsm another couple of hours. It seems to be be done. Very moist/tender and the probe penatrates the meat very easily.

I am going to leave it on a little bit longer since it has only been on for 12 hours and everything I have read says cook for 1 1/2 hours per pound.

So far so good on my first brisket. I will try and get some pictures up in a bit.

Thanks for all the help.

Originally posted by Randy Pope:

I am going to leave it on a little bit longer since it has only been on for 12 hours and everything I have read says cook for 1 1/2 hours per pound.

That is only a guide. Pull it when it feels tender. Forget temps after foiling. The dynamics of cooking in foil make the temperature irrelevant. Test for tenderness.JMO
If you pull when it feels tender you can't miss, if you wait for a certain amount of time to elapse it becomes hit or miss. Sometimes you'll be lucky and sometimes not. Feeling it is tender gets you there every time

Dave,
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pull it off now. I really thought it would take longer.

Just put some abt's and sausage on so, it's going to be a good lunch.

I can't believe how long the fuel has lasted. One full ring of charcoal with hickory and apple and one full chimney. It has been running at 225 for over 13 hours now.

Everything came out great! I no longer fear the brisket. Sorry no pictures the wife has the camera and she is out of town.

Thanks Again

Hi Ed Cardoza

I tried looking for the rub 'Kevin K's coffee/cocoa' but can't find it. Do you make it up or buy it? Sounds interesting.

Many thanks

Simon

The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board Barbecuing Brisket ?
Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Admin New PM!
Personal Zone »
Member Directory
The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board »
Ignore List
Groups
Permissions
Notifications
Favorites
More...
Discussion
Keyword Search

Search current forum only
Advanced Search
New Since your Last Visit
Active Topics in this Category
Add to My Favorites
Printer Friendly Format
Email a Friend
Help
Manage Topic
Manage Content in This Topic
Manage Members
Online Now
Control Panel
Rate It! Login/JoinWelcome, SIMON BROADRIBB [Logout]

Randy Pope
Posted June 26, 2009 07:36 AM
I will be doing my first overnight brisket on my new wsm this weekend and wated to know at what temperature do you guys pull it off the smoker?

I did a pork butt last weekend and followed the recipe to the "T" and pulled the butt of at 190 degrees and wrapped it in foil for an hour and it seemed a bit over done. Don't get me wron it was delicious but I think I could have pulled it off at around 170 and foiled and it would have been even better.

I have been using the MM to start the fire with a full ring of charcole and a full chimney to start it. I live in Colorado so I am using a full chimney to compensate for the altitude.

Thanks in advance

Dave from Denver
TVWBB Fan
Posted June 26, 2009 07:41 AM Hide Post
Randy welcome to the board - if you do some searching around for threads on brisket you'll quickly see that it's not so much a matter of internal temperature as it is one of tenderness. That said, most briskets will be done at around 185-200F. It really depends on the piece of meat and the cooking technique used, especially whether or not you foil the meat @ 160-165 internal and let it keep cooking.

The general guideline is that the larger chunks of BBQ meat are done when a probe will slide in with little resistance. In a brisket the place to check this is the thick part/center of the flat.

I also live in Denver metro and I have no problem with the MM using only 12 lit coals. But, I may have a different cooker setup (clay pot in place of water) so you should stick to what works for you.
Posts: 135 | Location: Denver Co | Registered: August 26, 2008

Ignored post by Dave from Denver posted June 26, 2009 07:41 AM Show Post

Randy Pope
Posted June 26, 2009 07:46 AM Hide Post
Thanks Dave, I'm just a little nervous about the first try. I'll post the results.

Ignored post by Randy Pope posted June 26, 2009 07:46 AM Show Post

ToddF
Posted June 26, 2009 08:51 AM Hide Post

I've done several dozens of them on an old modded ECB through the years, and they turned out just fine--though with considerable effort. Got a 22" WSM this season and, well, it's pretty darned automatic with this puppy...!

Sounds like the only thing you need to add to your set-up is a 6-pack and your golden. Soon you will be telling us of a gelatinous beefy meteorite (at least that's how it'll look!) to make us all proud.

Ignored post by ToddF posted June 26, 2009 08:51 AM Show Post

Ed Cardoza
TVWBB Pro

Posted June 26, 2009 10:07 AM Hide Post
Randy, I am also doing a Brisket, but will be doing mine starting late this evening and doing the dreaded low and slow cook. I will do the MM method as well, and will be cooking at 225* throughout the cook. In terms of internal cooking temps, they are basically just a guide so to speak. Just keep an eye on the temps, and once you reach the 180 area, you will need to start checking for tenderness by just using your probe or something similar and once it goes in with no resistance at all, it is time to remove. I foil mine right around the 165* mark and then just monitor the internal until it reaches 180* and then start checking for tenderness as I have previously mentioned.
You will soon see that seasoning makes all the difference in the world, and there are tons of rubs on this site that are incredible. I will be using and we are looking forward to the end results.
Good luck with yours.

quote]The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board Barbecuing Brisket ?
Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Admin New PM!
Personal Zone»
Member Directory
The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board»
Ignore List
Groups
Permissions
Notifications
Favorites
More...
Discussion
Keyword Search

Search current forum only
Advanced Search
New Since your Last Visit
Active Topics in this Category
Add to My Favorites
Printer Friendly Format
Email a Friend
Help
Manage Topic
Manage Content in This Topic
Manage Members
Online Now
Control Panel
Rate It! Login/JoinWelcome, SIMON BROADRIBB [Logout]

Randy Pope
Posted June 26, 2009 07:36 AM

Thanks in advance

Dave from Denver
TVWBB Fan
Posted June 26, 2009 07:41 AM Hide Post

Posts: 135 | Location: Denver Co | Registered: August 26, 2008

Ignored post by Dave from Denver posted June 26, 2009 07:41 AM Show Post

Randy Pope
Posted June 26, 2009 07:46 AM Hide Post
Thanks Dave, I'm just a little nervous about the first try. I'll post the results.

Ignored post by Randy Pope posted June 26, 2009 07:46 AM Show Post

ToddF
Posted June 26, 2009 08:51 AM Hide Post

Ignored post by ToddF posted June 26, 2009 08:51 AM Show Post

Ed Cardoza
TVWBB Pro

Posted June 26, 2009 10:07 AM Hide Post
You will soon see that seasoning makes all the difference in the world, and there are tons of rubs on this site that are incredible. I will be using Kevin K's coffee/cocoa rub and we are looking forward to the end results.
Good luck with yours.[/quote]

Here's the rub as I read it:
3/4 cup freshly ground coffee into a fine powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder preferably Dutch-processed
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup pure red chili powder
1/2 cup paprika
1 tblsp dried thyme
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
mix well, salt to taste the brisket before applying this rub.

No I did not baste or sauce this brisket and it came out as one of the best I have ever done. Tons of juice, and very moist and tender.
As a twist, I brushed on some jalapeno oil prior to applying the rub. OTH

Back