Brisket

John Willems

TVWBB Member
I didn't know that there was 2 different types of Briskets till I read about here. The Flat & the Point. Which is better to cook. Which is the Tenderest? I was at Sams this evening & they had a bunch of flats & several Points. Looked like they split the two. Is it better to get them Whole that cut up? What do they call it when its whole? Packer Brisket. All the Pics I've seen looks like its a Whole Brisket. Thanks John the Newbie

Hit up the brisket recipe on amazingribs.com. Easily the most indepth I have seen. Answers about 95% of any questions you'll have

A packer is the whole brisket, point and flat together. If all you can get is separated than get a flat, try and get one that is as even in thickness as possible. If you want to make burnt ends get a point.

Does the Point have to be cooked longer to make it more tender.I've seen on TV shows how BBQ restaurants make Burnt Ends. I had My first Burnt ends in June at Smoking Guns BBQ in KC. They were better than I thought they would be. John

Burnt ends are good, but it's not necessary you do that with the point. Cook it til it's jiggly, and it's all good, sliced or however you want to serve it.

I didn't like BE's as much until I figured them out. Now, especially with certain family members, I'm FORCED to make BE's with the point.

Back