Brisket ?

Scott M

TVWBB Fan
Planning my first overnight brisket cook this weekend (7lb flat).
Putting the brisket on around 9-10pm and shooting for 2pm lunch the next day.
I see different suggestions in terms of foiling/not foiling. I am looking to run at 240-250 lid, minion method with clay saucer.
Does foiling have an affect on the meat (tender, moist, etc) or is it simply to speed up the cooking time?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
I see different suggestions in terms of foiling/not foiling. I am looking to run at 240-250 lid, minion method with clay saucer.
Does foiling have an affect on the meat (tender, moist, etc) or is it simply to speed up the cooking time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 7lb flat will take between 7-10hrs at the temperatures you stated. I cook at those temps and foil in the 160º-165º range and pull when tender usually in the 190º-195º range and then give a good long rest, 2-3 hours. Foiling will help with tenderness, moisture and time.

Thanks Larry.

I thought I would be looking at 1.5 - 2 hours per lb on the brisket. I may hold off putting it on the WSM until midnight.

I think your fine putting it on at nine or ten, they maintain there heat really well and then if anything goes wrong you still have time.....

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
Does foiling have an affect on the meat (tender, moist, etc) or is it simply to speed up the cooking time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scott, a lid temp of 240º-250º will get you about 225º-235º at the top grate. So with those temps, figure 1.5-2 hrs per lb.
Foiling will do several things, and really is worth doing IMO. It will speed up the cook, and help in retaining moisture, and help with tender. That said, once it's foiled you can crank up the WSM to 325º and speed up the cook process if you need to. Once it's in the foil, the higher the heat, the faster it cooks without drying it out. I just did a big flat on Sunday at 235º grate till it reached 160º, then foiled it, and cranked the WSM to 325º because Big storms were coming. Once it was foiled and the WSM was at 325º. it took about 90 min to finish. Came out super moist, and tender, just perfect IMO. So if you do the first half low and slow, then once foiled, do a high heater, your looking at about 7.5-8.5 hr. cook, give or take. But all that said, no two pieces of meat ever cook the same way. HTH

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have to admit I've done 2 smokes on the new toy (ribs and pork butt) and both were winners based mainly on the advise and tips I've received here.

I think I will forego cranking up the heat because I'm looking at a 2pm serving time and I don't want the meat to sit around for that long, but I will definately foil.

Off topic question - I have a Bob Evans Maple Fattie that I'm going to throw on in the morning. Should I just put on as is or is there a decent rub out there that goes well with the maple sausage?

I think I will forego cranking up the heat because I'm looking at a 2pm serving time and I don't want the meat to sit around for that long, but I will definately foil.

Off topic question - I have a Bob Evans Maple Fattie that I'm going to throw on in the morning. Should I just put on as is or is there a decent rub out there that goes well with the maple sausage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I posted that for you to keep in the memory bank. Storms roll in or are coming and you want to get it done quick, or you got a late start, drank too much the night before, been there before, more than once.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Or you just get one that is taking forever.
For the fattie, any rub will do but go easy on the salt. I find the BE sausage to be perfect as is so I use a sugar spice rub. Some ideas for you. Brown sugar, or sugar in the raw, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper. Remeber it's maple so you have to be carefull what you use. I did the BE maple fattie 2 weeks ago. I used Texas BBQ rub with some cin in it. Came out great. BE sausage is the only sausage I use for fatties. I tried an off brand a few months ago that was so salty, never again will I stray from BE. HTH

I think I'll go sans rub the 1st time and see how it is. My Wegmans had a few different kinds and I've always been a huge fan of maple sausage.

Thanks again for the Brisket info. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how it came out on Sunday. I'm also throwing some RS Chicken on the charcoal grill as it's my mom's birthday and she went nuts for it on the 4th.

Back