Brisket: Wrap? Foil or Paper?

Bill Moriarty

I'd like to hear experiences with wrapping a brisket (flat in this case). Should you wrap? if so, for how long and foil or butcher paper?

Thanks!

Never did just a flat but if it's really well trimmed ( zero fat ) add some butter, tallow or broth.
I would also go the PBP vs foil.

I wrap as soon as the meat hits the stall (which seems to happen between 160 and 170 degrees, more or less.) I wrap in foil, as I feel it retains moisture in the meat better than butcher paper. It stays wrapped until done (probe tender, which happens around 205 deg in my experience), and while resting in a cooler (at least 2 hours, preferably more, as long as the temp doesn't get below about 160 deg or so.)

A third option is a foil boat. It is growing in popularity in TX.
The foil boat is most interesting, I may check this out

Previously, I wrapped my Brisket in butcher paper at 165-175 IT until finished. When I pull it from the smoker, I remove it from the butcher paper, let it cool until 170 and then wrap it up tight in foil in a small cooler with towels on top and bottom for it's rest. Most recently, I made tallow from the fat I trimmed off the brisket, and poured it into the foil before wrapping it up. If you do this, make the tallow outside, it stinks up the kitchen pretty good if done inside

Last flat I did I wrapped in butcher paper. It was a small one ~ 5lbs. I wait until a nice bark is formed, then I wrap.

Because it's a flap, wrap it -- yes, butcher paper. If it was a full brisket packer -- well, buy three and try out all options. :D Or take the short cut and buy two -- do one naked and one wrapped in butcher paper. Naked takes more work and is a tad iffy, but you can get fantastic bark!

I don’t wrap until I remove from the smoker. Let the temperature break double layer of foil, towels and, in the cooler for a nice relaxing four to six hour nap! Mind you this is for full packer briskets.

OK, but at what temp do you pull? And "temperature break"?
Fair enough, I tend to pull more at probe feel as opposed to temp, 195+. large cuts of proteins tend to have carry over heat so, I wait about ten minutes to lose up the foil completely and then into towels and cooler.
Finalize the wrap too soon and, they can get mushy due to the carry over temperature rise (can be ten degrees or more) a little time for the heat to “break” and, Fanny’s your aunt!

Thanks. We're similar but I now go a little higher. I've been thinking about trying a similar break, then unwrap and go for a better bark. That foil boat looks interesting, but several hours in a 170* oven seems a bit much. Any thoughts?

Back