Brisket trouble- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
Fired up the WS with a chimney and 2/3 charcole. After shutting down vents the temp was at 300. Put 1.84 lb. Brisket Flat on top grate. Temp throughout entire process was around 245. At 3hrs. the internal temp of the B was at 120. Because I'm new I wanted to experiment and get this all right. So I left the B on the grill until internal was 180. After 6 hrs. and 11:00 pm at night I gave up. Temp at that point was 150. I never saw 180. The WS worked perfectly with temp control at the top vent etc. The B had a nice color like the ones I saw in Pics. at this sight. It tasted very good. But, 6 hours for a 1.84lb. Brisket???? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Larry

Have you verified the accuracy of your thermometer?
I've had briskets go over 1 1/2 hours per pound but never over 3 hours a pound as you describe.
If you opened the cooker often, the internal temperature may have kept dropping.
You don't mention whether the brisket flat came out moist and tender. If so, I'd guess it cooked to higher internal temperature than your thermometer showed but for the right length of time even it was uncommonly long. If the flat came out tender, but dry, you may have overcoooked it.
On the Cookshack forum Smokin Okie always says, "It's done when it's done."

Can't explain the temp, other than maybe a defective thermo. Thermos are great tools, but your nose, your eyes, your fingers, and a stabbing utensil are better.

Also, keeping the atmosphere constant is a good thing. In other words, resist the urge to peek, poke, prod, or otherwise disturb the cooker until you're well along in the process.

Steve

I wouldn't expect such a small brisket to behave like the big 12 pounders that you see featured here on this Web site. Don't worry about it...next time, find a 5-6 pound flat with a nice fat cap or a whole packer-cut brisket and try again. After cooking several briskets you'll get the hang of it. And don't feel bad, brisket is the toughest piece of meat to get right, so hang in there!

Have fun,
Chris

Well, I say label, "Brisket" and got all excited. Then I got home and started reading all the stuff about them and at that point I found out it was a mini piece of meat. Still tasted good though. And thanks for all the input. I'm doin' chicken this weekend.
LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back