Brisket: To rub, or not to rub...

Buts and ribs? Sure. But given that two of the best briskets I have ever had were salt, pepper, hickory and love as the only ingredients, to Rub? or not to Rub? THAT is the question.

Does it REALLY add that much? will it enhance the flavor of the meat THAT much?

Simple like onion, garlic, s&p? or something super complicated?

If you say rub...Convince me.....

a brisket rub is more basic than a rib rub. More salt in the brisky rub....less sugars. For the brisket rub you want something to compliment the great tste of beef. Salt/pepper/garli/onion powder is always safe. I use a couple commercial rubs w/ great success. While my smoker is getting to temp ill put on a very generous layer of rub...15 minutes...a little more...then a little more. I dont like to wrap briskets...I just let them ride out. This makes for some outstanding bark on the brisket...and tastes Greeeaaaaat
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott T (Odirom):
Buts and ribs? Sure. But given that two of the best briskets I have ever had were salt, pepper, hickory and love as the only ingredients, to Rub? or not to Rub? THAT is the question.

Does it REALLY add that much? will it enhance the flavor of the meat THAT much?

Simple like onion, garlic, s&p? or something super complicated?

If you say rub...Convince me..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott,

I use a pretty simple rub, made up mostly of garlic, salt and pepper. I think of brisket as one big steak and that is the seasoning combo that sounds right to me.

Today, I'm cooking one with a packaged Montreal steak seasoning rub. Which is mostly salt, garlic, and pepper, although I think it has some onion and red pepper as well.

Ever the contrarian, I dislike 'basic' rubs and salt-and-pepper-only rubs. Reminds me of the often lousy brisket one so often finds in Texas; tender (or not) but screaming for flavor--a missed opportunity.

Hundreds of flavors are created when meat cooks and added to those are the many flavors imparted by smoke. Those flavors, along with the flavors of the beef itself, can be boosted, complemented, contrasted by the use of a good rub correctly applied.

actually deppends on what you want. really means you need to experiment. i just slather with mustard then add kosher salt and cracked pepper. i use pecan smoke. its what i like. no right, no wrong. so go forth and seek yer truth.

Back