Brisket timing.....

Gary Derr

Hi All, I've been lurking in the background reading & learning from all of the posts for quite a while. I have a timing question for my upcoming Smoke Day contribution.

This year I am smoking two 12 lb briskets at 225 on my 18" WSM and wanted to know what "rule of thumb" I should be using for timing when cooking two as compared to 1 brisket on the smoker. Usually, 1 - 1.5 hr per lb but how does that increase when doubling up the meat?

Thanks in advance,

i haven't noticed that it changes timing per se. but, having two large pieces of meat in there will make it take even longer to get up to temp. plus if you have one on the bottom rack that one will take longer as it is not as hot on that rack as it is on the top.

Gary,

Last July, I cooked two 13.5 lb'ers on the top & bottom racks of my 18.5" WSM and it took roughly 16 hours to reach 193-195 unfoiled with a lid temp = 225.

So, my rule of thumb is 1 1/4 hours per lb.

Nicolas and Monty, Thank you both very much for your guidance. I'll put them into play this weekend.

Have a great Memorial Day!

You cant really go by time but yes a good rule of thumb is 1-1.5 hours per lb so if u have 2 12 lbrs expect 12-18 hours of cook time total. Remeber you go by temp not by time you can always FTC and keep in the safe zone for upwards of 6 hours if need be

Back