Brisket Temperature Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Going to do my first brisket this weekend. had to settle for a flat here in Pa. Going to but some bacon on top and spray wiyh apple juice. I'm confused about the tempature.At what temp do i pull it off the WSM? 185,190,and when i take it off do i let it rest for 15 minand then slice it up or do i wrap in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler for a couple of hours. You read so many different things. Any help would be appreciated Thank you Bryan.

Bryan,

185-190? is about right; check it with a fork or a thermometer probe for tenderness.

I think the idea behind wrapping the brisket in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler is that you can do this, not that you need to. If you pull it off just before meal time, by all means go ahead and slice it after a 10-15 minute rest. If you get done early, the cooler thing will keep the brisket hot until supper time.

By the way, do you have a Super Wal-Mart near you? Here in Southern Indiana it's a great source for packer cut brisket.

Steve

Has the flat been trimmed? If not, you normally do not need to put bacon on top. Just set in the flat with the fat side up.
Some people turn over the brisket later on in the cook, I usually don't, unless the temperature has gone high or the water completely evaporated.
In either case, sometimes the bark on the lower side will thicken and dry.
Good luck.

Thank you Steve, Richard. the flat has a complete layer of fat on top but it's very thin about a 1/16 of an inch. We do have a super wal-mart i'll check it out. Thanks for the info. Happy Smoking, Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back