Brisket smoke

Curt Davis

TVWBB Super Fan
I am 4 smokes in now and really enjoying the WSM. I started out with the typical butt and chickens. Then I followed up with ribs and chicken. Both turned out well. My latest was brisket which brings me to my question. It was a 12 lb whole from Wal Mart and it was fork tender in 7 hours. Temps stayed at 250 or below. Does this seem fast? It tasted good and sliced nicely. Sorry but no pics. I will do better next time.

Where were you measuring temps? If using the factory guage, your grate temps were probably around 275 which is about right. Large cuts of meats are done by their thickness not the weight. A 12lb brisket can be done sooner than a 11lb butt simply because of thickness for example.

I am measuring with hood gauge. The meat was not very thick. This explains a lot. I also did not have very good bark but I think I foiled too soon. Thank you for your help.

Do you recommend foiling at all? On butts I normally do not and this was my first brisket. Thank you for the tip.

Curt this post will likely generate a lot of discussion as the first thing I thought when reading was the time is too short for the temperature vs the weight. Having said that, I have never foiled below 150. I have cooked 12 pounders HH in around 5-6 hours but the temps you report would not be considered HH. There are folks on here who do not foil, some folks use butcher paper and I think a lot do foil.

Here is an excellent article on the HH method for you to read. There are other methods too but I'm thinking this may fit more with your time frame.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?718...d-A-Compilation&highlight=brisket+compilation

Last edited:

Back