brisket size questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hello all,

I got my bullet last week from amazon. spent the last couple days looking for brisket around town.

I found very small cuts (publix, 3 to 7 lbs. @ 3.79/lb.) and whole briskets at super wal-mart @ 1.19/lb.

so how small a cut can I cook? if I figure on 1.5 hours/lb., the really small cuts will be done fairly quickly. will that be enough time to get tender? I'd happily cook a whole brisket--with publix's prices it'd cost the same--but we'd be pulling leftovers out of the freezer for the next year.

the briskets on the midnight cook recipe are about 10-11 lbs. each. will seven cook more or less the same? or five? I guess my question is, how do size and lack of cooking time needed affect the finsihed product/does brisket need at least 'xx' hours smoking to get tender?

thanks in advance, and thanks to chris for the site. excellent community going here.

scott

I've only done flats, 4-8 lbs, not by time but by temp (188-192 deg. F internal when done). 10 hours at 250F to doneness, with a simple rub of fresh ground black pepper, ground toasted coriander and kosher salt. My smallest (about 4 lbs) were still on for 8+ hours.

That said, given the insane prices, go with the whole brisket. There'll be shrinkage and fat trimmed away after you're done cooking. And unless you're living on an island by yourself, you should be able to make friends if you are afraid of eating or freezing the approximately 7 pounds of finished brisket you'll get from a 12 lb. brisket.

People nearby who've been smelling the thing cook for 14 hours always appreciate a taste. Myself, I find 'cue a great way to break the ice and say, thanks for being a good neighbor.

Still, if this is your first few runs on the WSM you might want to do pulled pork, if it's all the same to you. It's the most forgiving 'cue there is.

Scott-

I say cook what you can find, and keep looking. My first brisket was a three pound, fully trimmed piece of (what I now know is) a flat. I knew that I needed a fat cap (read that on the Internet doncha know), so I asked the butcher if he had some beef fat trimmings to spare. Nice guy that he is (probably felt badly about the price per lb on the brisket), he sliced off about four 1/8" slices of fat for me. I fired up my pit, seasoned up my brisket, laid the fat on top of the seasoning and cooked it. Turned out pretty good.

Since then, I have been able to locate a source for Choice whole briskets, but that first one turned out just fine.

Oh, and Monsieur Galarneau was correct, don't cook by time. It can be a guide, but on briskets, feel is the only way to go. When it gets to 182? or so, start checking it with a probe thermometer. When the probe slides into the meat like it's butter, you are there.

Good luck!

Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back