Brisket rubs?

Texas BBQ Rub Original again voted best at American Royal. Try it, and I think you will like it.

I generally do whole packers, 12-14 lbs. Try SAMs Excel brand prime brisket. It will be in the prime section of the meat counter, not with the other briskets.

Last edited:
I make a paste of Worcestershire & Weber's Chicago Steak Rub. Whole packers only, never tried just the flat.

Tim

I use a modified version of the Louis Charles Henley All-Purpose rub. I get 15-18lb whole Superior Angus briskets from Restaurant Depot, $2.68/lb. The cutdown removes 4-5 lbs then I usually get a 50% yield. The cap is my fav part because I make KC Burnt Ends. What is not eaten immediately, I will cut into 1lb chunks, wrap in plastic wrap, foil and freeze. The 1lb chunks is a good size to reheat and serve my 3 kids and I.

Simple works best for us simple-minded folk - equal portions of Paprika, black pepper, brown (or Turbinado) sugar, and Kosher salt for the rub; I stick with the flats exclusively.

From Meathead's site (Amazing Ribs):

Big Bad Beef Rub

Ingredients
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

1) Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.

2) Lightly oil the meat with vegetable oil. Many of the flavors in the rub are oil soluble and the oil helps penetrate the meat. So does the salt, so don't leave it out. Spread the rub generously on beef brisket, not so thick on other, thinner cuts. You can apply it just before cooking or let it marinate on the meet overnight.

Fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt, granulated garlic and cumin that is all you need. Remember you want the brisket to be the star of the show not the rub.

Pammi likes this one. So do I! :D
1 tablespoon ground coffee $
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar $
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I've been using Bovine Bold. I'll have to try one with just salt/pepper since that's what I use for prime rib and I like it a lot. I've been getting choice packers at Costco and the quality is good. I think I actually prefer the point so cooking just the flat would be kind of silly. :)

I use Billy Bones rubs. He has one called Beef Master and it is good for briskets. http://www.billybonesbbq.com/ He also has a XXX Cherry rub which I sometimes add. But you can also never go wrong with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Sometimes simple works really well

No, but remember sugar burns at about 320(?) approximate. I like a coffee rub. Plenty of recipes on this site. Like the bold taste and aroma from the meat. Yes, I do HH on my brisket

Pammi likes this one. So do I! :D
1 tablespoon ground coffee $
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar $
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

i'm going to try this one w/ 1/2 the salt. its looks good.

Back