Brisket rub/paste recommendations

Going to do a HH brisket for dinner tonight before the Wednesday night poker game. I've done several HH briskets and love doing them that way, but I'm not satisfied with my seasoning.

I've been kind of lazy on this, using simple yellow mustard, and then a pretty basic rub which is generally comprised of brown sugar, salt, ancho chile powder, garlic powder, chipotle and cayenne.

Any suggestions? I've tried doing a search, but got so many results it was overwhelming, and not really on point. Clearly my computer skills need work, too!

TIA,
Bill

Thanks, Bryan. I think I'll try this one. I know, however, that Kevin doesn't use salt in his rubs, so when do you salt? Salt first, then paste, then rub? Or paste, first?

Bill

William-

I've followed that recipe before with good results. Real nice change from the usual routine.

If you read the rub recipe, it actually does include salt. If you follow Bryan's link to the recipe, then follow Kevin's link to his actual cook, he comments that "Since I was putting the dry rub over the paste rub I included some salt in the dry rub." and "I was quite pleased with the rub flavors but thought it lacked a little salt. A sprinkle of that and the brisket was delicious on its own--my requirement for barbecue."

When I used the recipe, I upped the salt to a full teaspoon which seemed to work fine with the total amount of rub. Or, you could just follow the recipe as written and allow your guests to add salt/sauce as they like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks, Bryan. I think I'll try this one. I know, however, that Kevin doesn't use salt in his rubs, so when do you salt? Salt first, then paste, then rub? Or paste, first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I do that paste rub I salt the brisket, then apply the paste. I'll include a little salt in the dry rub as well. Just eyeball a tsp or so. HTH

Beef bullion cubes and worchester sauce. Mix together for a wet rub. Put on night before and nothing else needed.

Start with a good pice of meat (choice) if possible.

John

Back