Brisket rotation

When I was cooking on an offset I always would rotate/flip my brisket every few hours to compensate for the wide temperature deltas in my pit.

Is there any need to do this in a WSM? It seems like I ought to be able to put it on and leave it. Am I missing something?

People do rotate things in a WSM. If cooking on the bottom and the top grates, people rotate top to bottom and bottom to top during the cook. People also rotate things like ribs so that the ones on the outside of the rib rack get moved to the middle. This moves the ribs away from the heat coming up around the edges of the WSM. With a brisket, I don't think rotating it or flipping it is necessary. You might want to foil the ends to prevent the hotter temps around the edges from cooking the end to much too soon. You definitely will not have to flip it every couple of hours.

I estimated how long my cook will be. At the halfway point I take the one oon the bottom rack and put it on the top. Naturally the top one goes on the bottom.

I know during a long cook the temp difference even out but....

Ditto for me. I try to keep opening the lid to a minimum. With brisket/shoulders I put the larger cuts on the top rack. With ribs (in a rib rack) I put the meatier racks on the outside and the leaner cuts in the middle. It works pretty well and avoids the need to open the lid and rotate.

Back