Brisket report and questions

Calle

I smoked a brisket on the weekend. I got it untrimmed, weighing in at about 12 lbs before I trimmed off unnecessary fat. I used a rub that was pretty basic - nothing too fancy or unusual - on top of a layer of mustard.

Once I started the coals, it started to rain, so I just set the vents to be a little more open than usual to make up for the rain cooling off the smoker. I put a handful of hickory chips, a handful of apple chips, and a stick of cherry wood in there.

The meat went on at midnight, thinking that it would take about an hour and a half per pound including rest time, so that would make it finished around 5pm or so.

I got up at 8am, and the temp at the lid was about 230, a bit on the low side but not too bad. I used a ketchup-based mop sauce, and started to baste the meat about every hour. I had only made half a batch because usually I'm left with a lot of leftover mop. Well, this time I ran out of it around noon already, so for the rest of the session I just basted with apple juice instead.

At about 5:30pm, I took the meat off, the internal temp seemed to be around 170-175 or so and I was getting really hungry and didn't feel like waiting for it to hit 180... I wrapped it in foil while it rested to maybe push the temp up the final few degrees, then separated the flat from the point and cut them up about 45 minutes later against the grain. There wasn't much of a smoke ring - not more than 1/8" or so. Much of the rub had also come off. I think that the wood chips didn't produce enough smoke (I should have used bigger chunks instead), and that I had used too much mustard for the rub to set properly. The meat was very good, but maybe a little on the dry side, but I blame that on the fact that the rub hadn't set better to keep the juices in.

I served it on buns with a KC style sauce and grilled onion on top. While it was delish, I know it can get even better.

Of course the yield was way more than what myself, my wife and my 2-yearold could eat in one sitting. My wife wondered if it wouldn't have been better if I wouldn't have sliced much of the meat before I put the leftovers in the freezer. I told her I had no idea. What are your tricks for keeping a brisket tasty after it's been cooked and is stored away?

Cheers,

-- Calle.

Assuming your temps are accurate: The meat was a tad dry because it was, likely, undercooked. Did you check the meat at all by feel or just go by temp? If it was a typical supermarket brisket the finish temp usually needs to be somewhere between 185 and 192; feel determines this. Go for a higher finish next time.

The presence or lack of a smokering has little to do with smoke flavor but it's likely you didn't have enough smoke for your taste. If you are going to use chips make foil pouches for them, pack them tightly, and put a small single hole in each. This will force the chips to smolder/smoke slowly.

Basting is a personal preference and you are certainly free to bast as little or as much as you want.

Rest longer than 45 min. Wrap well in foil and put in a dry cooler with towels stuffed in for at least an hour. (I think 2 is better.)

Nothing--not rub, not mustard, not searing--will 'keep the juices in'. The meat was less juicy than desired because rendering was curtailed by its removal too soon in the cooking process.

I prefer storing and reheating brisket in large chunks, then slicing just before serving.

Sounds like you had a pretty good cook, though, all told.

Hey thanks a lot
icon_smile.gif
Lots of good lessons learned there, I 'll definitely take it all into account next time I try a brisket - this was only my second attempt and it turned out way better than my first, but I just knew that it could get better.

Calle,
I too did a 12 lb pre-trimmed weight brisket this weekend. Trimmed all the "hard" fat off, including the big wedge between the flat and the point. Just rubbed it, no mustard, the night before. Fired up the WSM with RO lump, 4 small sticks of oak, 2 of apple, Minion Method at about 0730 and put the brisket on the top rack, a gallon of water in a foil lined pan. Kept the dome temp at 250 all day.
Never took the lid off, never basted, never mopped. Added a little lump once, which turned out to be unnecessary. When the meat hit 195 internal, I closed all of the bottom vents, and let it sit for a while (an hour, maybe longer). Took it off, put it in a stainless pan, with HD aluminum foil over it. It stayed that way for maybe 45 minutes til my parents came over, and I had to show off. Sliced samples for everyone and OMG was it good. Tender, moist, fat just about completely rendered off.
I think Keven nailed it for you. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The meat was less juicy than desired because rendering was curtailed by its removal too soon in the cooking process.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats on a successful cook.

Back