Brisket Questions

Mark Godfrey

I just bought a 5lb brisket flat from costco. I was planning on putting it on WSM in the morning but I just found out it going to be pouring rain all day. I have a few questions.

1. If I am going to wait till next Saturday to cook it should I freeze it or will it be ok in the fridge?

2. What methods should I use cooking a 5lb flat? Temps, times, turning, basting, wrapping in foil and finishing in the oven or leaving on the WSM the whole time?

3. what would be a good rub?

You could leave it in the fridge if you wanted. As long as its not in a fridge that is opened and closed a lot. You want the temps in the fridge not much higher than 36 or so, if you do.

As far as rubs, there are a million recipes on this site, in the appropriate locations.

You don't need to turn or baste a brisket. Most agree to just let it go, fat side down, till its done.

Most people foil at 160, and let it come up till its good and fork tender. Don't rely on final temps to tell you if it's done or not.

If it's not in a cryo vac pack, I'd freeze it, unless you have a foodsaver or other vac sealer. If the later or it's in cryo then the fridge will be fine. Here's a link for you on how to cook a small trimmed flat, Happy reading.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back