Brisket question

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I'm doing my second brisket this weekend for my wife's family reunion (a potluck). My first brisket didn't come out so hot, so I thought I'd ask some questions here before I smoke the thing on Friday.

The rub I've selected is as follows:

1/2 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup paprika*
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup white pepper**
1 tablespoon ground green peppercorns

* I'm thinking of switching the paprika out with an equal amount of ancho chili powder, but I've been instructed to not make this rub spicy. Will that substitution make the rub much more spicy than as written?

**I'm using a quarter cup of white pepper because I have a very find grind from Penzey's. It's basically a powder, so I cut what I would normally use in half to account for this. If I was grinding it myself, or had a coarser grind, I would use a 1/4 cup white pepper.

How does everyone generally test doneness with brisket? I want to be able to slice it, so I'm not sure exactly when to pull it off the smoker. Should I foil it while in the smoker?

Thanks for all the help! As I said, my first attempt at brisket didn't come out well (undercooked, I'm sure), and since this is for a large group of people, I'm hoping to have much better results this time around. I really wish I was doing pulled pork, which I've got down pat, but my mother-in-law was providing the meat, and she showed up today and dropped off a brisket, so brisket it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it were me, I would salt the brisket liberally and then liberally apply all of the ingredients you have listed, versus mixing it before hand. The proportions you have listed appear to be excessive in my opinion and you will be able to get a better idea of how much of each ingredient you are applying if you do it one ingredient at a time. Just my opinion.

Begin checking for 'doneness' once the brisket hits around 190º internal. At that point, insert your meat thermometer in the thickest part of the brisket and if it's done (tender) the probe will slide right in, if you have to force it in, cook for another 5º and test again. Continue to do this until you can easily insert the probe.

Quick answer on the Ancho powder: No, it is not spicy whatsoever to my taste buds, but it has a nice earthly flavor.

Based on posts I've read here and on my own experimentation I now almost always toss any paprika and generic "chili powder" called for in rub recipes that I'll be smoking. I sub in Ancho and a mix of other hotter ground chilis. The rest of the rub is up to you, but I'm 100% in agreement with your swapping Ancho for Paprika.

Be careful with the white pepper, it's very strong. I never use it. Not a big fan of onion powder either. Love the ancho. If it were me, I would stick with ancho, salt, and pepper, and maybe some garlic.

Ancho instead of paprika....interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I like to use chipotle powder in rubs from time to time. It adds a nice flavor. Here is a mild rub for brisket I've used. Tastes great right out of the mixing bowl...I ain't kiddin, a bit of rub and a bite of bread, delicious.....lol.

4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
Be careful with the white pepper, it's very strong. I never use it. Not a big fan of onion powder either. Love the ancho. If it were me, I would stick with ancho, salt, and pepper, and maybe some garlic.

See, I love the white pepper, even more than black pepper. I'm a big fan of pepper all around (not chile peppers, mainly just peppercorns), and I just recently tried the white. I know it's stronger than the black, and I have a finer grind of it, so I cut back. Normally I would simply have used a quarter cup, but since I was instructed to make this rub less spicy I cut it in half.

I went ahead and mixed up the rub, subbing ancho for paprika, and applied it to the brisket about an hour ago. Tomorrow morning the brisket will be placed in the smoker, and Saturday it will be eaten. Once it comes off the smoker and I can try a bit of it I'll let everyone know how it turned out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Originally posted by Bill S.:
Ancho instead of paprika....interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I like to use chipotle powder in rubs from time to time. It adds a nice flavor. Here is a mild rub for brisket I've used. Tastes great right out of the mixing bowl...I ain't kiddin, a bit of rub and a bite of bread, delicious.....lol.

4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Bill, like your recipe. If you are doing the high heat method you may want to rethink all that sugar. I believe sugar burns at 212???. Also, would add some granulated onion. Brisket can take a lot

Originally posted by paul h:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:

4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Bill, like your recipe. If you are doing the high heat method you may want to rethink all that sugar. I believe sugar burns at 212???. Also, would add some granulated onion. Brisket can take a lot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sugar burns at 350º. I agree, definitely add the granulated onion!!

True. (It caramelizes about 25? lower.)

Adding some onion will add some natural sweetness, allowing for a lower amount of sugar.

The brisket came out wonderfully. It had a nice smoke ring, and the taste was excellent. I have every confidence that this will be loved by everyone that tries it.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back