Brisket Question?

Ron Ta

TVWBB Member
Hello to all:

I planned on making Brisket for Sunday afternoon. After doing some research at this site, I was looking for a whole untrimmed Brisket, but was unsuccessful, can not find one in my area. I would have to have ordered it, but i waited too long and now it's too late.

So the best I could find was 2 nice pieces of flat cut 1 @ 5# and 1 @ 4#, and each have a pretty nice fat cap.

I plan on on target cooking temp of 240-250 on my WSM. So, since these pieces are much smaller than what is normally discussed here, can someone please give me a best guess cooking time?

I was planning on 10-12 hours with the larger piece.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Ron

How well-marbled and how thick the flats are will have a lot to do with it but, generally, I'd figure 1.25-1.5 hours/lb if your target temp is at the grate, longer if your target is at the lid, possibly as much as 2 hours/lb. Enjoy your cook.

They are pretty well marbeled and about 2" thick.

Is that 1.25 - 1.5 per lb. based on each piece or the total of 9# ?

I would guess then 7.5 hours approx.?

Thanks

Ron

Each piece. The smaller one will likely be done sooner but lots of variables affect overall timing. At ~245 grate I'd figure 50 min/lb on the short side to 1.5 on the long and plan from there. I know that's quite a swing but timing isn't exact with Q as you know.

The smaller the brisket the less you can use rules of thumb. Connective tissue takes time break down, the time is needed no matter what the overall weight is. I would give yourself more time than the weight would normally indicate.
Jim

I am but a backyard newbie, but I have to agree with Jim.

I just finished cooking a brisket flat that I had leftover from a previous cook and had frozen. It was small and thin with little fat cap. I actually got on the scale and then held the meat trying to figure out how much meat I was dealing with. It was about three pounds.

I injected and put it on from the fridge with my lid temp measuing about 240. I was also doing a butt at the same time on the top grate and had put it on earlier knowing it would take long. Well long story short the brisket flat took about 6 hours to reach 185 internal.

One would expect a longer cook coming from out of the fridge, going on the lower grate, and with only 240 lid, all variables that would extend cook time all by themselves; add to that the smaller cut variable that Jim notes. Always good to allow time; among all the variables one can control lie several that one can't, or that are unpredictable.

Thanks all for weighing in on my question.

I will plan on allowing more time for cooking, maybe 8 hours or a little more, I figure if it's a little early it can always go in the cooler for a while.

Thanks again, and a happy weekend to all !!

Ron

Back