brisket question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
Just wanted some input on my first brisket cook I did a few weeks ago, particularly about the use of meat thermometer. I used one of the brisket recipes here and smoked a 5.5 lb. brisket for about 9 hrs. and foiled it in the oven for about an hr. after that. It tasted good but was kind of chewy. The internal temp seemed about right but maybe should have gone longer but guests were getting hungry. One thing that happened when I first stuck the meat with the thermometer after about 8 hrs. juices squirted out like Old Faithful. I'm wondering if that loss of juices made it more chewy, and/or how to avoid that from happening if possible. Or is a big deal at all? I'll probably get a ET at some point soon. Thanks in advance for the advice!!

5.5 lbs. sounds like a flat. What temp did you cook at? What temperature did you take the meat up to? Where did you stick the thermometer in (top, side?) Was the thermometer one with a slim 1/8" stem or larger? Did you slice thin, and against the grain?

Erich
The smaller the brisket the Rule of Thumb of 1.5 hours per pound is not a good guide.
You did not give the pit temp but for example if it reads 225? at the lid you were cooking at aprox 200?. That pit temp would extend the cooking time considerably.
If the brisket was still chewy then it was not done, it needed more time.
Jim
PS: you can not punch a whole in a brisket and drain the juice out it. The cells that were broken will release fluids but that would not lead to a chewy brisket.

Hello Doug,
I'm not sure if it was a "flat" though it looked like the pix on the site for the most part. The pit temp was around 225-250, though it probably dipped to 200 when I went out for a few hours. The thermometer was a digital readout and thin, and I stuck it in the top. I sliced it against the grain about .25 inch thick.

Jim, thanks for the advise. For a smaller brisket like the one I did, I'm assuming less time per pound, but the pit temp should still be around 225-250...?

The smaller the brisket the more time per pound it takes,connective tissue takes time to breakdown.
I normally don't cook flats cause I have plenty family to eat what I cook. A 13 pound packers cut takes 16 to 18 hours, you need 10 or more hours to do a flat unless foil a few hours into the cook.
Jim

Welcome, Erich!

One general rule when BBQing..if the meat is tough it is not done. The "fix".....more time cooking.

No need to even check the meat temp...just poke a fork into it and give it a twist. If it twists easily, it's done.

Jim is correct about poking holes in meat....there is nothing wrong with that. One of the biggest meat myths around. Meat is comprised of millions of individual cells...not one big large fluid sac. So, when you poke, you will get some fluid discharge but it quickly subsides and will make no difference in the final product.

You also learned a valuable lesson about cooking for Q for guests.....don't do it until you have several cooks under your belt.

Keep at it and have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] I normally don't cook flats cause I have plenty family to eat what I cook. A 13 pound packers cut takes 16 to 18 hours, you need 10 or more hours to do a flat unless foil a few hours into the cook.
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Jim, do you ever have a problem with the flat getting overdone while the point is still cooking?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for all the input...this site is the best! One question leads to another though...could someone explain what a "flat" brisket is vs. other types of brisket?

A whole brisket is comprised of the "flat" and the "point", so named for their general appearance. They are two different muscles attached by a membrane of connective tissue. The flat is leaner-- relative to the point-- and often reaches doneness sooner than the point, so some people separate them when the flat is done and then finish the point. The point can be thought of as the "pulled pork" of beef, making great shredded beef sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back