Brisket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Im thinking of smoking my first brisket this upcoming weekend.
Was wondering what folks here preffered,,,, the midnight cook, or the wet rub?
Not only have I never smoked a brisket,,, I dont beleive I have ever tried it either.
Im really looking forward to it though.
Thanks all.

Midnight cook works well for me, except I start more ike 8:00. If you have never had brisket you are in for a treat.

Your method is more important than the rub. Choose whichever rub and seasoning sounds more appealing to you, but I highly recommend the "Midnight Cook" methodology. I always start my briskets out around 8 or 9 at night, and they're usually done by early the next morning, after which they have a nice long rest (at least an hour) wrapped in foil, towels, a blanket, and snuggled into a dry pre-warmed cooler. In the "Web Rub" recipe, seems like Chris took his brisket to 205 or so. When you get that high, you're going to come closer to pulled beef than sliceable brisket.

This thread may help, too.

Packer or flat? I'd suggest using a full packer cut no more than about 10 pounds on your first time out, rather than a flat, as it won't be as prone to drying out. A flat is do-able, don't get me wrong - in fact, a friend of mine just did her first brisket today, a 6-lb flat, and it turned out great (she laid bacon slices over the top to help keep from drying it out.) Fat side up the first half of the cook, and fat side down for the second half works well, although lots of times I don't flip 'em at all.

You won't go wrong following the Midnight Cook, though.

Keri C, Smokin on Tulsa Time

I plan on doing a full packer, that is if I can find one.
I will have to shop around.
What is the going rate for a brisket per pound?
I think I will try the midnight cook.
Thanks for the help.

Well,
I fixed my 1st brisket over the weekend.
And I must say it turned out awesome.
Took about 12.0 hours, and I let it rest for about 3 more before carving.
It gives my pork butts a good run for they're money.
Thanks to everyone on here, for I couldnt have done it without all your feedback, and recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back